Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple TV have to have internet or Wi-Fi?

I have an adult disabled son in a non-profit agency's group home. The home has neither internet access nor a Wi-Fi network. My son has many iTunes purchased movies on his iPad. Does Apple TV have to have either an internet connection or Wi-Fi to play movies from an iPad? If it is required, is there any other way to play movies from his iPad on his TV?

Apple TV

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 12:43 PM

Yes on both counts. While you can use AirPlay to stream content from the iPad to the AppleTV, that also requires that both devices be on the same WiFi network.

6 replies

Oct 5, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Illinois John

My son does not have the physical dexterity to be plugging in cables, etc. He is really good at using an iPad or iPod to watch his movies or play music. I know how to set up a home network with a computer, cable modem, and router; but I am fuzzy on how I would set up a Wi-Fi network without a computer or internet access. Can I just buy a Wi-Fi router and set it up without a computer or internet access? Or is there some other Wi-Fi device I need?

Oct 5, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Illinois John

No unfortunately.

When the iPad plays content from the iTunes store it will “phone home” to verify the account before streaming it through the air to the Apple TV, it needs the internet to “phone home”. If the content was a home movie or something else that wasn't bought from iTunes then you could use a wifi base station/router without an internet connection, but I think (not 100% sure) you'd need a computer for initial set up.

Does Apple TV have to have internet or Wi-Fi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.