Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I enlarge a RAID 1 group by adding two new hard disks to the existing ones, without data loss or need for temporary storage?

I have a RAID 1 group made by 2x 2TB external HD, connected to my Mac mini running Yosemite (soon El Capitan)

Now I have run out of space, and would like to add more HD (e.g. another couple of 2TB disks, so as to bring the group's capacity to a total of 4TB)

Since I don't have the additional disks, I can't experiment…

I'd like to know if this can be done without losing data, having to park to somewhere and rebuild a new group from scratch and copy the data back etc.

Ideally I'd like to drag and drop the new disks into the existing group and see the capacity added

(another question would be if the same is possible using two RAID 0 groups instead of two single HD units - I know this works, my question would be how it works for the expansion described above)

Anyone can please help?

Thanks!

Leo

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:45 PM

There are no replies.

can I enlarge a RAID 1 group by adding two new hard disks to the existing ones, without data loss or need for temporary storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.