Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore from iTunes back up

I have backed up my old iPhone 4 to iTunes (on a Windows 8.1 PC, iTunes V.12.1.2) and now want to restore that back up to a new iPhone 6S. But, when I plug in the iPhone 6S to the PC using the supplied cable I get a message saying that the iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. When I go to the iTunes website on the iPhone (via Safari) and try to download, I then get a message saying iTunes already installed. I figure it is at latest version as only collected it yesterday. Also, PC tells me that 12.1.2 is the latest version for that.

So, any ideas what to do next? I'm lost without my contacts (for work purposes) and cannot go back to the iPhone 4 as the sim has been disabled (due to swapping from mini to nano sim today).

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:45 PM

iTunes version 12.1 is not the latest version for the Windows 8 computer. You cannot update iTunes on the iPhone, it is referring to the iTunes on the computer for you to restore the iPhone 6s. Go to iTunes on the computer and attempt to update it. Go to Help>Check for Updates. After installing the latest version of iTunes for the computer (v12.3.0.44), you should be able to restore to the iPhone 6.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 1:45 PM in response to salty159

iTunes version 12.1 is not the latest version for the Windows 8 computer. You cannot update iTunes on the iPhone, it is referring to the iTunes on the computer for you to restore the iPhone 6s. Go to iTunes on the computer and attempt to update it. Go to Help>Check for Updates. After installing the latest version of iTunes for the computer (v12.3.0.44), you should be able to restore to the iPhone 6.

Oct 6, 2015 10:43 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi There,

So the question remains for me with the exact situation.

I have an old laptop and has wondos Vista on it. I kept it for apple backups. I backed up from iphone 5 using itunes and now since afternoon trying to resotre the back up into my iPhone 6 and I get a message saying "The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to itunes to download the latest version of itunes"

the problem is i did and tried to isntall it but it doesn't install on windows vista and am totally lost. This is ridiculous as I have to buy a new OS (which I know is old) just as I purchased a new iphone? This wont happen in Android.

Is there any solution?

If I new what folders to copy from that old mashine, I would move them to my work computer running win 7 and be able to use my new device.

even backed to icloud but not sure how to restore to new device from icloud backup using old device

thanks

Unable to restore from iTunes back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.