Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery drain IOS 9.0.2

I started noticing battery drain on my iphone5s immediately after installing IOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2. My battery life went down from 26 hours in standby mode to 7 hours. I tried everything - from searching the apple forum, to just about shutting all services down't on the iphone5, to shutting down the phone completely when I'm not using it. Essentially it stopped functioning as a phone and more like piece of junk I have to micro manage. What I found out is that after installing IOS 9.0.1, there are certain apps that will keep hogging power even when the app is disabled: 1) Find MY Friends 2)Podcast 3)iBooks 4)Some chinese app (see below)

User uploaded file

I don't use these apps and I just want my phone back. The IOS 9.0.2 even have a "battery" feature under settings which doesn't even reveal that all this power hogging is happening in the background. You have to do your own research and on your own to find out what's actually going on inside your phone. I feel like my phone is being hijacked - powerless. As you can see below, I have disabled almost all features on my phone, it's no longer functioning as a smart phone - and I still can't get 7 hours out of it.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 3:05 PM

12 replies

Oct 5, 2015 3:48 PM in response to kege111

I even went to an apple store to check out the issues. All they can do is reset the iphone to factory settings. Didn't change a thing on power consumption reduction - except I have to go thru all the trouble to set up the phone. Also, since I upgraded to 9.0.1 and 9.0.2, my Touch ID stopped working. The geniuses at the genius bar suggested I buy and replace the hardware - really? 😕

Oct 8, 2015 5:32 AM in response to kege111

I suggest you log an incident call with Apple.

i have the same problem, iphone 5s with 9.0.2 and the battery went from 20% to 3 % right in front of my eye while using it!

Logged the call and ask to restore 9.0.2 which I did but today its still draining to fast and jumps, so for example was at 45% for ages while using it. stopped using it a few minutes then picked it up and it went to 33%.

I think there is something wrong with the algorithm that they have used in the 5S, that or the a/d converters that work out the battery volts has a glitch with the new software.

I down graded to 8.4.1 and it worked fine, but now I tried 9.0.2 again the fault is back and now I can't downgrade as apple have stopped singing it.

I'm due a call back today from apple support to see if it is fixed so will be telling them NO its not.

Oct 15, 2015 3:04 AM in response to Apy1968

I'm seeing significant drain too on my 5S and my (possible) replacement 6S. I was getting horrible drain which stopped as soon as I signed out of iCloud.

I've just noticed that my iPad air 2 is also suffering from this, with usage and standby times being the same. I've watched two videos this morning which should leave me down in the mid 80% region, but I'm doing at 64%. iPad claims 2.4 hours usage, but I only watched 1.5 hours of video and thats it. I really don't want to have to sign out of iCloud on that device as well.

Oct 15, 2015 3:12 AM in response to kege111

Hi. Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/21/fix-ios-9-battery-life-problems/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

Oct 15, 2015 9:56 AM in response to thunderzzz

Follow-up after 3 weeks.

1)Indexing - Battery life did extend 6-7 hours after a couple of weeks. Phone settings are still spartan!

2)Brightness - Done that from the beginning

3)Disable location service - seriously? Why don't you just ask me to shut down the phone every time I am not using it? (which by the way I have been doing)

4)Ditch background app - Disabled all background app from the beginning. I deleted apps just in case it was still running wild. Guess what - FindMyFriends, Podcast, iBooks were still sucking juice even though I have disabled background apps. Why are you giving me all these new apps which I don't want on my iPhone? You're just like a cable company - providing bundled services that are not needed!

5)Reboot - I did one better - shut down every night

6)Low power mode - You'd think I never thought of that? This feature is enabled on my phone even at 100% capacity

Oct 21, 2015 6:28 AM in response to kege111

Ho lo stesso problema da quando ho installato l'aggiornamento 9.0.2 sul mio iPhone 6, la durata della batteria è passata da 30/40 ore in standby a 7/8.

Su consiglio telefonico del Customer Service ho inizializzato il telefono e re-installato tutto, senza ottenere benefici.

Dopo due telefonate e due visite al Genius Bar, per la mia insistenza mi è stato sostituito l'apparecchio ma tutt'ora permangono i problemi di durata della batteria, inoltre il telefono si scalda parecchio.

Se verificato il tempo di utilizzo del telefono equivale a quello dello stand-by pur non avendo fatto niente.

Questa mattina ho installato l'app Bactery Doctor e mi da una videata identica a quella di kege111.

Vorrei poter disattivare queste app che effettivamente non utilizzo e poter riavere il mio telefono pre aggiornamento.

Nov 30, 2015 2:27 AM in response to kege111

Same problem here and the same apps apparently using excessive power (except for the Chines one). Find my Friends being the biggest power hog according to the battery app.

Next to replacing the battery three times, I also tried every trick in the book to stop the draining. Reset, reflash from DFU, update to 9.2 beta, new/other Apple ID....it just does not matter. Battery drains from 100 to 0 in about 6 to 8 hours (max) with power save mode enabled, flight mode enabled and in standby (not in use). Even in the setup screen (Hello...) and on standby the battery drains in 6 hours from 100% to 0% (with and without wifi, with and without SIM ... it does not matter).

Phone was OK untill the update to 9.1 ... now it is totally unusable.

Dec 23, 2015 3:29 AM in response to kege111

Same identical issue !

i initialized the phone like a brand new iPhone and i solved the problem 10 days ago , yesterday the problem appeared again !!

stesso identico problema !

avevo formattato e andava tutto abbastanza bene ( non avevo fatto il recupero da iCloud .. configurato come nuovo iPhone)

ora è ricominciato di nuovo il problema da ieri !

battery drain IOS 9.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.