Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The wireless network appears to have been compromised..."

MacBook Pro Retina 15" from Late 2013 with 2.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, running El Capitan 10.11

After updating the operating system from Yosemite to El Capitan, I've often seen a Finder window pop up with the message "The wireless network appears to have been compromised and will be disabled for about a minute." No other devices connected to the same 2WIRE wireless router provided by AT&T were affected or showed any kind of warning. I've never gotten this message before in the last 10+ years of using WIFI, or the past maybe 4 years with this router. I find it odd that I would be getting these messages and interruptions of internet use so often after never having had them before right after an operating system upgrade, so I'm left wondering if perhaps El Capitan might be the culprit.

From a little Googling, the AirPort driver is what is prompting this warning and disabling the network, because of a TKIP Message Integrity Check or the associated checksum, however, again, I'd be very surprised if this was either a router failure or, even less likely, an actual network attack which so closely coincides with my instillation of El Capitan. I'd rather not start fiddling with my router before determining what's actually caused this change.

Thank you for any insight or assistance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:17 PM

I, too, started getting this warning after upgrading to El Capitan. I spoke with AppleCare today who assured me that this message is not generated by Apple and is not in their library of warnings at all. After the tech (through screen sharing) examined all of my network settings, nothing was deemed out of line. Apple also ran a malware check and found nothing wrong. The suggestion was made to call my wireless provider. ATT switched me to a different wireless channel. Apple also told me to have ATT change my security setting to WPA2 which they did. So far so good ...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 8:17 PM in response to willravel

I, too, started getting this warning after upgrading to El Capitan. I spoke with AppleCare today who assured me that this message is not generated by Apple and is not in their library of warnings at all. After the tech (through screen sharing) examined all of my network settings, nothing was deemed out of line. Apple also ran a malware check and found nothing wrong. The suggestion was made to call my wireless provider. ATT switched me to a different wireless channel. Apple also told me to have ATT change my security setting to WPA2 which they did. So far so good ...

Oct 9, 2015 8:56 AM in response to The_Coffee_Queen

That's quite helpful, thank you The_Coffee_Queen. AT&T is my internet service provider as well, and I do have an older router which is probably still on WPA1. I would sincerely appreciate any updates you might be willing to post, assuming you're comfortable doing so. A few other people have clicked the "I have this question too" button, indicating that your outcome could help folks in a similar situation.

Thanks again!

Oct 9, 2015 9:27 AM in response to willravel

Will--ATT said they switched me to "channel 9"--not sure what that means but they kept saying it is the "good" channel and would not be affected by neighborhood use ... And they added the WPA2 security. Not really sure which is helping more, but I have not had the issue since.

AND ... my speed has remained consistently high. Before it would dive way down as verified by frequent speed tests. The only solution was a reboot. Now it stays up all the time. I might also add that before this (on Yosemite) I got consistent "resolving host" issues where the only solution was to either reboot or turn off/on the wireless. I believe the "compromised" message with El Capitan was the same thing as "resolving host" was with Yosemite. So happy to see neither of those anymore. My router is 6 years old. ATT said we would try the new settings and if that continued to be problematic, the next step would be to change the router.

The one thing I did make note of when speaking to Apple was that they had not heard of this specific message before, and it doesn't seem to be prevalent on their help forums. I also noticed that I never had this problem when traveling and being on various hotel or airport Wi-fi, which made me less suspicious of the OS and more of my home service. I appreciate that ATT was eager to resolve the problem and that they have. So far anyway. 🙂 (And it was all done remotely while I was on the phone with them.)

Aug 24, 2016 8:53 AM in response to The_Coffee_Queen

I think they may have been mistaken. That warning has been popping up from time to time since at least OS X Tiger.

It's possible that it's a symptom of your WiFi access point packing up and the signal getting corrupted. If you have a router with iffy capacitors you'll get the message more and more frequently over a few months as they fail completely.

I keep a spare router in the cupboard for such occasions. It's very difficult for an amateur to diagnose problems other than by substitution.

C.

"The wireless network appears to have been compromised..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.