Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Safari option, "Add Image to Photos" Not working

Where are the images I added to Photos today??

I upgraded my MacBook Pro (Retina) to OS El Capitan on October 2, 2015. Today, I saved about 50 images I searched for and found on Safari to "Photos" by right clicking on the image and clicking "Add Image to Photos." Now I can't find a single image I added to Photos. I checked Photos preferences to identify the default folder where images are saved. It is the Pictures Folders. The images I added to Photos today are not in the Pictures Folder. Searched Finder, found nothing. Opened Photos, none of the images are there. And I tried the new spotlight search promoted by Apple as a feature in El Capitan, and like my Finder searches, I found nothing.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but it certainly appears to me that I am simply screwed because the "right click" on image, click "Add Image Photos" feature does not work. I have never had any problem with "Save image as" but thought I'd save myself several steps by simply adding images directly to Photos.

If the images are hiding somewhere, please please please someone tell me where.

Thanks, Pam Smith

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11), Safari/Photos integration

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:19 PM

9 replies

Aug 18, 2017 5:04 PM in response to Samertab

I can select "SAVE AS" and manually place the photos into PICTURES-- or chose ADD TO PHOTOS -- in which case it does NOT go into any folder than I can find --- SAVA AS to pictures works every time-- slower and puts everything there-- so how do edit the ADD TO PHOTOS caption so that it goes to a desired folder? BTW-- FINDER does not even show PHOTOS as a destination -- it shows Documents, Downloads, Mail, Music -- even Pictures-- no PHOTOS ! Any clue how to get that to populate in the finder side window?

Oct 6, 2015 6:37 AM in response to PamelaGS

Hello PamelaGS,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you're having difficulties with locating photos that you save from Safari to Photos. Photos that are saved directly from Safari also retain whatever metadata are in the photo, which includes the date that it was taken or added. Since this is the case, a photo that you add to Photos in Safari might not appear at the bottom of your Moments section. An easy way that you can find these photos is to use the All Photos album in the Albums section of Photos. That will show you photos in order of when they were added into your Photos library.

User uploaded file

All Photos album: Contains all the photos in your library sorted by the date they were added to the library. This album also holds photos transferred from your other iOS devices and Mac computers that have iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream turned on.

What are albums? - Photos Help

Cheers.

Oct 7, 2015 4:12 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi alex_h1

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately, the images are not in any of my albums. I will make an appointment at a Genius Bar and until then keep using the "Save image as" option which has never failed me.

Note also for anyone who may come cross this question in the future, after I posted this question, I continued searching for an answer and found an Apple support/help with Safari article that instructed to save Safari images to Photos to use Ctrl/Click. I tried that. It did not work either. Hope it works for others.

Best, Pam

Oct 13, 2015 11:54 AM in response to PamelaGS

I am having the same issue, but have not yet upgraded to El Capitan. I think it may be an issue with the upgrade from IPhoto to Photo. I used to be able to right=click and have the image appear as the "last import." But now when I right click to add to Photos, nothing happens.

Does anyone know of a real fix for this?

Oct 13, 2015 3:06 PM in response to PamelaGS

I finally found a solution to this problem. I save a lot of images from Facebook using Safari, my iPhone 6, and iPad Air. Everything worked fine on all devices until upgrading to El Capitan and OS 9. On your Mac go to Apple pull down menu upper left corner, System Preferences, Internet Accounts, select Facebook or any other account that has a share menu feature. Try and check box to enable Share Menu if not checked. If you can enable then test and see if it works now. If not you will need to Go to utilities and run the Terminal program. Here is the link to Apple Support Fix. You can cut and paste the command into Terminal. I messed around for 2 weeks trying to figure this on out and just lucked upon this fix by Apple Support. I would have never guessed to search for the below caption.

If Share options or Markup is missing after upgrading to OS X Yosemite or El Capitan - Apple Support

Check you OS 9 devices and see if you can save images from other apps such as Facebook. If not you have to go into settings and make sure and allow each app that needs to use your account. I'm not sure why this setting changed on my iPad and iPhone but they were both changed.

Mar 24, 2016 2:21 PM in response to PamelaGS

There is actually a very simple, yet weird, reason for this problem: when you click on a picture in Safari and select "Add image to Photos", the saved picture actually goes to the Application "Photos" but NOT to the application " iPhoto".

I have no idea why this is so. May be the apple Community Service representative can explain.

New Safari option, "Add Image to Photos" Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.