Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asus RT-AC87U with Gen 1 TC?

Anyone know if I should be able to get a gen 1 TC (model A1254) to work through the Asus USB Application/Time Machine interface? I've tried numerous configure approaches but the Asus browser configuration app won't recognize the TC as a USB drive. I can access the TC via Airport Utility on my Macbook Air using the wifi network from the Asus router. I can add the TC disk as a shared drive via Finder on my Macbook Air (also via wifi). The only thing I can't do is get the Asus interface to see the TC as a drive. I plugged a USB thumb drive into the USB port on the router just to make sure the port is good and the router was able to see the thumb drive successfully.

My understanding is the TC USB port is USB 2.0 - is that correct? The Asus router supports 2.0 and 3.0. But also I believe should be able to connect the TC to the Asus via ethernet cable, which I've done and still no luck.

I've called and emailed Asus and they can neither confirm nor deny whether what I'm trying to do should work. I'm hoping someone, somewhere has had some experience with this?

Thanks,

PAlterBoy

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 6:57 PM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2015 7:29 PM in response to PAlterBoy

I've tried numerous configure approaches but the Asus browser configuration app won't recognize the TC as a USB drive.

The TC is not a USB drive. It is an Ethernet network drive.

My understanding is the TC USB port is USB 2.0 - is that correct? The Asus router supports 2.0 and 3.0.

The USB port on the TC is there only to connect a drive for additional storage. You cannot connect to the TC drive using a USB connection.

But also I believe should be able to connect the TC to the Asus via ethernet cable, which I've done and still no luck.

If the Asus interface will detect a shared Ethernet drive, the TC might appear. If the TC won't appear, the Asus likely cannot detect it as a shared network drive. For what it is worth, Apple uses the afp protocol to communicate with the drive on the TC.

None of the Asus products that I've used were compatible with a TC, but I cannot say regarding your product.

Asus RT-AC87U with Gen 1 TC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.