Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove cloudfront?

I don't know if Cloudfront is malware or adware - but it has mucked everything up and I don't know how to get rid of it. Deleting cookies is not enough. How do I remove?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 4:16 PM

Download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Faringdon

Download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2015 5:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

Okay - I used the recommended Adware Medic from the Apple support site, and it has worked. My Macbook Air is back to normal.

If that was adware, it certainly behaved like malware. I do use Amazon, but certainly did not ask for that "service". Its effects were:

Directed to an ad site on every new tab opening - some of those were betting sites and dubious "you have won million dollars" type-sites;

Could no longer connect to tabs/links in my emails - this meant that I had difficulty, for example, changing my Apple ID or making any connection from email to a website (this was the most irritating);

Created endless surplus cookies;

Considerably slowed down my mac.

Carolyn warned me to make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in SystemPreferences > Security & Privacy > General

Which I double checked and it was on the correct setting. Which tells me that Apple allowed that particular programme to run. If you just google: How do I get rid of Cloudfront you will find many, many people complaining about it, I just didn't trust the solutions.

Anyway, thanks guys! Problem solved.

Oct 7, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Faringdon

Faringdon wrote:

Okay - I used the recommended Adware Medic from the Apple support site, and it has worked.

Glad to hear that. That's why using a program to remove adware is the preferred method, in spite of what only one user here says. Hopefully you won't mind if I use your post as an example, as you said that the manual method did not work for you.

Oct 7, 2015 8:12 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

However, the problem returned within hours. I have not got rid of Cloudfront and I am still getting 50-60 new cookies an hour. I am not a happy camper. I have installed Ghostery, I have everything turned on and blocked out and still unwanted cookies are appearing. I am now tweeting direct to the companies to find out how to stop it, and one is engaging with me (to their credit), they can't understand it either.

I am not a techie - I am just an ordinary person trying to live life quietly.

Oct 10, 2015 9:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

I laid out the problem above:

It appears to originate from Amazon, but it was not something I asked for, signed up to, or requested.

Its effects were:

1. Directed to an ad site on every new tab opening - some of those were betting sites and dubious "you have won million dollars" type-sites;
  2. Could no longer connect to tabs/links in my emails - this meant that I had difficulty, for example, changing my Apple ID or making any connection from email to a website (this was the most irritating);
  3. Created endless surplus cookies;
  4. Considerably slowed down my mac.

After I ran the programme recommended by Carolyn above, the first two of these stopped.

I cleared all my history, all my cookies, emptied my trash, and then deliberately DID NOT visit any Amazon website to see if they reappeared. They did. That is: Cloudfront, AmazonAWS, georiot and some others. I have my settings on cookies to only come from websites I visit, but this does not seem to work.

Amazon refuse deal with me by email or chat, & I don't see why I should waste hundreds of Euro to phone them.

Any ideas on how to stop it?

How do I remove cloudfront?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.