Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messaging on MacBook Pro

Up until recently, text messages sent to my phone number would also appear on my MacBook Pro. Since I got a new iPhone (Verizon, having switched from AT&T), that hasn't happened. I've tried everything, including fixing the Forwarding settings on my iPhone, but it still doesn't work. Help!!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:48 AM

1. Turn off iMessage: The first thing you need to do is to turn OFF iMessage. To do this:

• Go to Settings
  • Scroll down and tap on Messages
  • Switch OFF iMessage

The reason you’re turning OFF iMessage is so as to re-send an SMS activation for iMessage which tells Apple your new number.

2. Power down and wait: Usually, people jump to step #3 from here and it works. But for a good measure, power down your device and wait 5-10 mins before proceeding to the next step.

3. Edit your phone number detail: Once you’ve rebooted the phone after step #3, check if Phone number details on your phone reflect the new number. They usually do but just to be sure.Go to Settings → Phone and make sure “My Number” reflects your new number. If not, edit this.1Also, make sure the time & date settings in your iPhone are set to automatic. (they can be found in Settings → General → Date & Time)

4. Turn On iMessage again: Now, just head over to the Messages settings and turn on iMessage.

• This should usually send an SMS to Apple’s servers. (it happens in the background).
  • iMessage should be activated now for the new number. How to check this? Next step.

5. Check ‘Send & Receive As’

In the “Send & Receive as” field, you should see your new number ticked and grayed out. If this field is empty or has your old number, it means the process did not go as expected and you’ll need to repeat it.

If it shows your new number, you’re set.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 1:48 AM in response to Boca Bpb

1. Turn off iMessage: The first thing you need to do is to turn OFF iMessage. To do this:

• Go to Settings
  • Scroll down and tap on Messages
  • Switch OFF iMessage

The reason you’re turning OFF iMessage is so as to re-send an SMS activation for iMessage which tells Apple your new number.

2. Power down and wait: Usually, people jump to step #3 from here and it works. But for a good measure, power down your device and wait 5-10 mins before proceeding to the next step.

3. Edit your phone number detail: Once you’ve rebooted the phone after step #3, check if Phone number details on your phone reflect the new number. They usually do but just to be sure.Go to Settings → Phone and make sure “My Number” reflects your new number. If not, edit this.1Also, make sure the time & date settings in your iPhone are set to automatic. (they can be found in Settings → General → Date & Time)

4. Turn On iMessage again: Now, just head over to the Messages settings and turn on iMessage.

• This should usually send an SMS to Apple’s servers. (it happens in the background).
  • iMessage should be activated now for the new number. How to check this? Next step.

5. Check ‘Send & Receive As’

In the “Send & Receive as” field, you should see your new number ticked and grayed out. If this field is empty or has your old number, it means the process did not go as expected and you’ll need to repeat it.

If it shows your new number, you’re set.

Text Messaging on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.