Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I create my bootable USB drive for Windows 10 Installation?

When I run Boot Camp Assistant, I check the top and bottom boxes (middle is grayed out,) select the ISO from my downloads folder, and click the continue button to create my bootable USB drive. However, after formatting the drive and copying 40% of the Windows files, I get a notification that "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and then another notification that says "Your bootable USB drive could not be created" "There is not enough space available on the disk.

My USB drive is 8Gb, USB 2.0, formatted as FAT (though Boot Camp Assistant reformats it, anyway)

The ISO is unmounted.

What can I do to get this to work? I have no DVD drive.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:39 PM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:38 AM in response to cobligar

Hi cobligar,

Thank you for being a long time member of the Apple Support Communities and for posting this question!

The first thing I notice in your post that may be causing this issue is the size of your USB flash drive. You will need a 16 GB or larger USB flash drive to complete this process.

Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need.

• An Intel-based Mac
  • A Microsoft Windows installation media or disk image (ISO) containing a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 8 or later*
  • An Apple keyboard, mouse or trackpad, or a USB keyboard and mouse
  • A 16 GB or larger USB flash drive that you can erase**
  • At least 30 GB of free disk space on your startup drive

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support

If this information was helpful to you in resolving this issue with Boot Camp Assistant, we invite you to reply and let us know. We would also like you to provide any other further information if the issue continues. We are here to help and want to make sure everything is working as expected!

We’re glad that you are a part of the Apple Support Communities and look forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best!

Why can't I create my bootable USB drive for Windows 10 Installation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.