Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securing Time Machine Backups

Hello this might be an advanced topic here but I don't know where to exactly ask this. I would like to know if there is a way to set file permissions on Time Machine Backups (Encrypted .sparsebundle Files) to prevent accidental deletion by family members or others while sharing the storage device that the backups reside on while still allowing all backups to continue. Specifically the Time Machine Backups should be able to be deleted by one person only. What do I need to do to accomplish this without interrupting the Time Machine Backups from the three computers that backup to said storage device?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 11:41 PM

You can set user login credentials to restrict access to the hard disk of the TC.

But you cannot easily do this with a running TC.. if you set this up on anything but a blank TC then you will not be able to access existing files.. you need to unload the TC disk.. apply the new level security and then load back each users files/backup etc.

User uploaded file

Pay attention to this warning because it may not display in v6 airport.. but it is still 100% valid.

User uploaded file

That means all users not just non-administrators.. and several of us have commented that it kills all access to the old files by everyone.

However you must do two things.

You must set an administrative password to the TC that is unknown except to you.. and clearly not the wireless password as apple setup wizard now does..

More importantly .. access to the physical TC must be restricted.. the reset button allows anyone to remove the security .. discover the passwords and put it back.. it is a soft reset.. so you must realise all security is merely illusionary as long as people can access the TC.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 11:41 PM in response to djmura

You can set user login credentials to restrict access to the hard disk of the TC.

But you cannot easily do this with a running TC.. if you set this up on anything but a blank TC then you will not be able to access existing files.. you need to unload the TC disk.. apply the new level security and then load back each users files/backup etc.

User uploaded file

Pay attention to this warning because it may not display in v6 airport.. but it is still 100% valid.

User uploaded file

That means all users not just non-administrators.. and several of us have commented that it kills all access to the old files by everyone.

However you must do two things.

You must set an administrative password to the TC that is unknown except to you.. and clearly not the wireless password as apple setup wizard now does..

More importantly .. access to the physical TC must be restricted.. the reset button allows anyone to remove the security .. discover the passwords and put it back.. it is a soft reset.. so you must realise all security is merely illusionary as long as people can access the TC.

Oct 5, 2015 11:41 PM in response to LaPastenague

Aww, yes, okay I like this approach and where this is going. Instead of setting File Level Permissions on the ".sparsebundle" files them selves, I can create User Level Accounts on the T.C. and leave the responsibility to the Users them selves to keep their backups and not delete them - or much worse anyone else's. I think I may try this and see how it goes. One question about it before I attempt this. The administrative password is for is someone forgets their User Level Account password on the T.C.?

Securing Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.