Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 incredibly slow

Since upgrading to iOS 9 everything on my 5S is running incredibly SLOW!! What is wrong with this version of the OS? Also see notes on terrible battery life. Is there something wrong with the entire design of this OS at the core (kernel) level? It seems badly mis-programmed. No energy management, extraordinarily inefficient and slow and clumsy. This is probably the worst iOS upgrade I have seen in YEARS. Has anyone else been having the phone slow down so much? Searches now take minutes instead of seconds. Almost unusable. What did they do wrong? and WHY?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 10:07 PM

10 replies

Oct 5, 2015 10:21 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The worst problem I am having is with the auto fill and search and lookup - it can take minutes to search and find. Previously, it was looking up names and numbers as fast as I could type. Everything else is off just a bit but only a little bit and I haven't timed it. This part is extremely noticeable.

Oct 5, 2015 10:24 PM in response to raidl

Issues with individual phones are just that, individual. Each user has to do whatever it takes to correct their issues. Many are corrupt backup files, many are locked processes. It is difficult to diagnose every one, especially when they are not in front of you, and all of the symptoms are not included.

I've read posts, as I spend a great deal of time here. User troubleshooting consists of restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new. You test after each step. If you restore as new and test the device without the addition of other content and still experience issues, then you need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple store to have the device examined.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Oct 5, 2015 10:30 PM in response to raidl

My 5S is very fast on iOS9. I love it. Even the 4S is quite fast, so your 5S should be fast as well.

Try this (in the following order):

- Backup to iTunes

- Restore the iPhone (not from backup, but restore the OS (takes a long time)

- Restore the backup to the phone

I noticed that using Skype costs a lot of battery (much more so than FaceTime). Also, having the Skype app running in the background also consumes much more battery than turning it off (you still get calls through push...usually).

My friend had this problem too and other problems, this procedure fixed it.

Let me know how it works (or doesn't) for you.

Oct 5, 2015 11:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

astounding arrogance and unreality.

I've been programming since I programming PDP-8s and 11s in Machine code and assembly language; paper tape, binary switches, hex code, etc...

I rarely hang out on blogs or post things because I know what I am doing and don't have problems.

I have also seen a lot of bad coding in my life. A lot. And when something is all over a board, there is an issue. In this case an attempt to produce a bloated elephant instead of elegant code. Somebody forgot to teach assembly language these days, and systems level programming.

And the nearest Apple Genius bars are 250 miles away. About an hour plus in my airplane. I just flew back to work tonight across one of the Great Lakes, about 200 miles. I commute in rural areas. Big city dwellers are quite oblivious to the realities of the rest of the world. We were digging potatoes and getting ready for deer season over the weekend. I've learned not to expect understanding or civility from urbanites or ivory tower folks.

My attitude has always been the same as the way I handle things myself: "just fix the problem".

Oct 6, 2015 11:00 AM in response to raidl

I find this humorous. You call my response arrogant, and yet the poster after me gives you the same options and you say you will try it and thank you. I hate to spoil things for you, but I'm not an urbanite, and I do not live/work in an ivory tower. I'm quite rural. I've learned to expect responses like yours as well. Good luck on fixing your phone issues.

Oct 6, 2015 6:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Neither response is very helpful. And I don't have time for either. As I indicated. It all fits in with the Bill Gates Microsoft answer to everything. Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE, wait for the blue screen of death and pray. So far I am managing to survive with my only phone. Charging frequently. I don't recall if it was Heinlein or Asimov or Clarke who said that "to a more primitive society, any sufficiently advanced technology will appear like magic". Well, we are now more primitive than our technology. I don't think there is anyone any more who knows what is inside our devices - the complexity of the circuitry and the algorithms that are designed by computers themselves that we no longer can follow due to their complexity.

iOS 9 incredibly slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.