Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup Time Capsule as wireless hard disk only?

Hi! I have a 2014 Time Capsule that I'd like to use simply as a wireless hard disk. A few things to point out:

- I won't use it for backup purposes. I just need a place to store videos.

- It cannot be plugged into a router. It must be wireless.

- I have no desire to extend my existing wireless network or create a new network. I just want it to join my existing network, which runs off a TP-Link Archer C9.

- I've read many other threads about this and realize this isn't officially supported by Apple.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 11:15 PM

Apple removed the "Join a wireless network" functionality of the TC long ago.. it was so bad none of the regulars here would recommend you use it anyway.

- I have no desire to extend my existing wireless network or create a new network. I just want it to join my existing network, which runs off a TP-Link Archer C9.

The problem is you want your cake and eat it as well.. if you are not prepared to use ethernet.. what about EOP adapters.. they solve many of these problems and work well in some circumstances. Be aware not all.. so return should be possible. (if you are in Australia.. officeworks is great..)

Or what if the TC is stand alone.. why do you need it connected to the network at all if you are not prepared to plug it in??

One way around the problem.. cake and eating..

Put a wireless bridge in front of the TC.. and plug that in by ethernet to the WAN of the TC.

You should note speeds over this sort of mess tend to be poor and for media streaming poor wireless speeds mean disaster when playing videos.. !! 😠

How are you going to play videos from the TC.. because an Apple TV cannot do it.. !! 😮

If you plug a hard disk into your C9 it will offer full DLNA functionality... !! 😎 Or so they claim.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/faq-340.html

IF you need details just ask..

EOP adapters ... maybe $100 for TP-Link ones.. good as any.

A wireless bridge can be done by airport express but that is expensive unit cf the cheaper end TP-Link routers that have this functionality..

http://blog.jeffcosta.com/2011/09/29/create-a-wireless-n-bridge-with-2-inexpensi ve-tp-link-routers/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 11:15 PM in response to PyratPhil

Apple removed the "Join a wireless network" functionality of the TC long ago.. it was so bad none of the regulars here would recommend you use it anyway.

The problem is you want your cake and eat it as well.. if you are not prepared to use ethernet.. what about EOP adapters.. they solve many of these problems and work well in some circumstances. Be aware not all.. so return should be possible. (if you are in Australia.. officeworks is great..)

Or what if the TC is stand alone.. why do you need it connected to the network at all if you are not prepared to plug it in??

One way around the problem.. cake and eating..

Put a wireless bridge in front of the TC.. and plug that in by ethernet to the WAN of the TC.

You should note speeds over this sort of mess tend to be poor and for media streaming poor wireless speeds mean disaster when playing videos.. !! 😠

How are you going to play videos from the TC.. because an Apple TV cannot do it.. !! 😮

If you plug a hard disk into your C9 it will offer full DLNA functionality... !! 😎 Or so they claim.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/faq-340.html

IF you need details just ask..

EOP adapters ... maybe $100 for TP-Link ones.. good as any.

A wireless bridge can be done by airport express but that is expensive unit cf the cheaper end TP-Link routers that have this functionality..

http://blog.jeffcosta.com/2011/09/29/create-a-wireless-n-bridge-with-2-inexpensi ve-tp-link-routers/

Oct 6, 2015 8:22 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your thoughts, LaPastenague! But ugh....I really did buy a $400 brick.

After several months of frustration I finally purchased that TP-Link Archer C9, as the range on my TC is identical to the stock Comcast router. The C9's range is unbelievable.

As for streaming movies, I used Plex which is installed on an old Mac Mini.

And those EOP adapters are awful....I was using a TP-Link adapter for months and it BARELY did the job.

...ok, rant over. :-) Thanks again for all your help!

How to setup Time Capsule as wireless hard disk only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.