Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture starts generating previews on launch with El Capitan

After updating from Yosemite to El Capitan, every time I launch Aperture it begins generating previews for my entire 94k-image library, which makes everything sluggish until I cancel the operation. This with the "New projects automatically generate previews" preference unchecked. I even left it running overnight, but in the morning it still had 80k+ images left in the queue. Anyone else experiencing this? Solutions?

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 10:41 PM

4 replies

Oct 5, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Jacques4242

That is a typical behavior, if you imported an image file or a video, that cannot be processed by Aperture, either because of an unsupported format or because the item is corrupted. Then Aperture will try over and over again to process this item, without making progress. Can you see in the Activity viewer, if the preview generation is hanging while processing a particular file?

Oct 6, 2015 7:26 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thanks for the reply. This is not typical behavior. I've been using Aperture professionally since v1.0, and I haven't added files of any new formats lately. Also, as I wrote, Aperture is not simply hanging on one image - it's trying to generate previews for every one of 94k images in the library. Since it's taking about 10 seconds to generate each preview, this will take days if I let it run. During that time, Aperture will be unusable, and my whole Mac will be sluggish. I cancelled the process in the Activity Viewer, but it restarts each time I launch Aperture. This is not normal.

Oct 6, 2015 12:01 PM in response to léonie

Aperture normally does not automatically reprocess RAW. It asks first. This did not happen and is not happening. At no time in the past has an update to the Camera RAW processing engine prompted a wholesale reprocessing of RAWs or regeneration of previews. What's going on now is abnormal behavior. My RAW files are Canon, Nikon and Panasonic, not Sony.

Aperture starts generating previews on launch with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.