Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On Pages, how do you set "Tabs"?

I have a document that I need to edit, it comprises a list of Job Descriptions followed by the Names followed by their phone numbers. I cannot get the phone numbers to align vertically. They are not a lot out but I would like them to look crisp. Any ideas please, I have watched numerous tutorials on Youtube etc but no luck, I have scoured through Pages help but no luck.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), Yosemite 10.10 used.

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:00 AM

Hi Riverboy,

Menu > View > Show Invisibles (Tab characters show as right arrows).

Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Select the text

User uploaded file

Click in the horizontal ruler to place a Tab Stop

User uploaded file

Or use a Table 😉 and drag the column widths to suit.

Please call back with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Riverboy3050

On the Format panel is a Layout button. On its panel is a Tabs section, where you may have to click on the word Tabs to get it to open up. This is how you set precise tab marks in the horizontal ruler. A default keyboard tab is 0.5 inches. You can also change that distance in this tab section. Tab stops are added or removed by the intuitive +- buttons.

Many of the videos on Youtube are for Pages '09, which is an entirely different application design from the current Pages v5.5.3, and from which the latter is not based.

From the Pages Help menu, select the Pages Help menu item. See the red arrow on the following graphic for reading focus.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 1:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hello Viking. The original document came to me in the .doc format. This I have saved and am working on it in pages. I can edit the document but not the tabs. As soon as I set the tabs following your page shots it works for the first time, as soon as I click on something else the tab markers on the ruler have vanished and I have to reset them every time. Any idea what I am doing wrong please?

On Pages, how do you set "Tabs"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.