Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No SSD found while trying to install OS X from USB Stick / Internet Recovery. HELP!!

I wanted to "reinstall" OS X Yosemite through internet recovery !

And in order to do that I shut down my macbook air and went to recovery mode to reinstall os x. Where it all got blowed up was that my internet was slow and couldn't complete the full installation.

The thing is,

- Before doing this re-installation I FORMATTED the MACINTOSH HD so it would be clean install 😐. But unfortunately internet connection failed in the middle and couldn't complete the installation.

- Now I am stuck with NO OS as it flashes folder with question mark.

- And, There is no drive that I see to install OSX through USB STICK... NO DISK is shown even while trying to INSTALL OS X through USB STICK or from Internet Recovery... IT JUST SHOWS THE USB DISK ITSELF... and simply nothing on INTERNET RECOVERY... NO SSD AT ALL!

- There is only...

disk 1, OS X INSTALL ESD
disk 2, OS X BASE SYSTEM.

( WHAT ARE THESE THINGS ? )

And, where on earth is that old little SSD / same old same ssd where I can install OSX? I just formatted the SSD I know, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't show up.

Is ssd like really dead or is there any chance to recover it? I mean I formatted the ssd not killed the poor thing.

P.S. I went to nearest Mac Support and they said ssd has crashed without even listening to the things I did... as I came to know they are ( quite money oriented ). And wanted to sell me SSD of $250 immediately.

I think maybe the partition has crashed or somehow ssd is not in the right format to be recognized by the Macbook air ? I might be wrong but is there a solution guys...??? Please Help!! 😟

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:00 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:58 AM in response to SamratSisir

When you connected to Internet Recovery, did you run Disk Utility again after formatting the internal and if so, did it appear? Does it appear again if you connect to Internet Recovery again?

SamratSisir wrote:

...P.S. I went to nearest Mac Support and they said ssd has crashed without even listening to the things I did... as I came to know they are ( quite money oriented ). And wanted to sell me SSD of $250 immediately...

What was the "nearest Mac Support? Was that phone support or a store and in either case was it Apple Computer or a third party?

Oct 6, 2015 11:09 AM in response to SamratSisir

You may have to look a bit further in your country or region to see if there is better

support for your Mac, be it through a legitimate Apple Authorized service provider

or an independent sales service agent with Apple trained technicians on staff...

Since we have no way of knowing where you are, one of the better ways of trying to

find someone nearer your location, country or region is to look into the Locator page

and see if your country is located. Some of them may not have local official support

even though several independent businesses could be there who offer repair service.

• Choose your country or region -- Apple Support:

http://www.apple.com/support/country/

• Apple - Find Locations - Country selector:

https://locate.apple.com/country

You may have to see if there is an authorized service provider and perhaps ask if

you can get a download of the correct files from their internet connection if yours is

too slow or inconsistent; where no actual Apple Store (official) exists, you may have

to pay a fee for their services, time, or other resources. If you already have a good

working relationship with a specific company or know someone who is good at this

kind of thing, it often helps to ask around locally.

Good luck in any event...! 😐

Oct 7, 2015 7:40 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hi K. Shaffer thanks for your reply... I went to mac support again and all they are suggesting is to change the ssd! even they checked their ssd and ran the system in my macbook air and it worked fine... but the thing they can't figure out is that my ssd is dead or not... if its not dead why bother to buy new ssd... it has only been a year and a couple of months with this machine! And i am quite sad with the dead ssd part with my simple format... I wish i could somehow gain the access to ssd again and just install os on it ... 😟

Oct 7, 2015 7:49 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

hey fatmac budd...

WHEN I connect to the internet recovery, i did run disk utility and no ssd... simply no ssd is there... only

disk 1, OS X INSTALL ESD

disk 2, OS X BASE SYSTEM.

Nearest Mac support was good mac support around here in my city. It is quite good one. But kind of expensive on the other side as wel. They mend apple iPhones as well as apple computers. In short, they are authorized mac support here in my city and they helped me with suggesting to change the ssd without giving me the proper information on my existing ssd. (WHHAT HAS HAPPENED TO IT ? ) MAIN QUESTION IS WHY IT IS NOT DETECTING... IS IT BECAUSE OF PARTITION? HDD FORMAT ? MOUNT UNMOUNT ? I wish to know these stuffs...
If there is a fix on my ssd I will be trying ... if not i will have to buy new one... No option...!! 😕

Oct 7, 2015 4:00 PM in response to SamratSisir

If the maker of the SSD presently installed in your Mac has a guarantee, you could

inquire of them about a replacement; some makers have a fair guarantee. And if

you are in the habit of making system backups to external drives, to include the use

of Time Machine and other archives in a separate drive from that, you should be

able to restore your computer from said backkup drive archives...

At this point, to replace the SSD with a rotational HDD of modern design, where the

data transfer speeds are sufficiently quick to get by, you should be able to replace

an SSD for much less cost. However like most of these, you never know when they

may simply fail. Generally speaking, a quality SSD (from vendor such OWC macsales

as they do business world-wide http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

Given the nature of solid state drives, a defect in the components could plague your

attempt to install restore or use the drive, depending on what the problem really is.

The route to take may involve a different brand, if the maker cannot help you get a

replacement; and if the maker of your SSD is a quality brand, they should replace it.

However, it's up to you, to keep and maintain an updated backup of your Mac. Some

good product ideas on how or what do use, in the way of hardware, may be viewed

at the same site as referenced above, the otherworldcomputing company. They can

also give you information without a commitment to purchase, that may be helpful.

You may be able to see if you can repair the drive, if only software or sector files

are damaged; but if there is hardware failure in any of the key components, it is

not going to be helpful, and you likely will not be able to reformat or use it for OS X.

Not sure if a data recovery utility or freeware software such as the company behind

testdisk and photorec could help retrieve lost files; but you may have to remove the

SSD and put it into an external enclosure, so a healthy Mac may try to recover them.

Only if you have files on there which may be accessible but unseen. These tools

may or may not work with your SSD and whatever failure has occurred inside...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page

Sorry to not be of much further help in this...

Good luck in any event! 😐

No SSD found while trying to install OS X from USB Stick / Internet Recovery. HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.