Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open iPhoto library in Photos

Hi,

I recently restored my mid-2011 iMac to factory settings as it was running quite slow and was getting a little cluttered. I backed up my iPhoto library from my Pictures folder onto an external hard drive. I have done this in the past and normally I just copy the iPhoto library to the Pictures folder after re-installing OS X, open it, and all of my photos and albums import without issue. Now when I try to do this, I get the following message:

"Cannot open migrated library

The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

I tried to hold down the Option key as I open Photos to choose which library to open however my iPhoto library is greyed out and cannot be selected.

When I click on the 'Learn More' button in the above message, the following advice is provided:

"Click Open Photos to view the library in the Photos app. Or you can open the original library in iPhoto 9.6.1 or Aperture 3.6."

iPhoto is no longer available from the App Store so I can't open it using iPhoto and there is no 'Open Photos' button to open the library using the Photos app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zane.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:28 AM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2015 1:36 AM in response to zane_k

The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

You're trying to open an iPhoto Library (that has been migrated already) with Photos, not with iPhoto. Either open it with iPhoto or open the Photos Library you backed up.

to update iPhoto:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Oct 6, 2015 1:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence,

I was able to download iPhoto and then re-migrate my photo library to Photos. All of my iPhoto Events have been grouped into a single album ('iPhoto Events'). Is there a way of moving them out of this album and into their own individual albums in the My Albums section of Photos? I have already tried selecting all albums, right clicking, and then selecting 'Move album out of 'iPhoto Events' however this causes all of my albums to disappear rather than moving them out of this album and into their own individual albums. Thanks!

Zane.

Oct 6, 2015 2:17 AM in response to zane_k

All of my iPhoto Events have been grouped into a single album ('iPhoto Events').

That's not an Album, it's a Folder, named iPhoto Events. Within it are Albums, made from your iPhoto events.

Is there a way of moving them out of this album and into their own individual albums in the My Albums section of Photos?

As it's a folder and not an Album try drag and drop...

Nov 19, 2015 12:42 PM in response to zane_k

This was frustrating the **** out of me and I had three sessions on the phone with apple support and nothing. This is what ended up helping me. Simple

1: Connect your external hard drive to new Mac

2: Open Photos on new Mac

3: Open 'Users' in hard drive and select user with iphoto library

4: Right click on iphoto library in your pictures folder and select 'open package contents'

5: Find the master folder and drag it into photos

Done. Only thing you will have to reorganise your albums because there wont be any. Why couldnt apple tell me this. Two weeks I was frustrated!! haha oh well.

Nov 20, 2015 11:21 AM in response to merrika

merrika wrote:

This was frustrating the **** out of me and I had three sessions on the phone with apple support and nothing. This is what ended up helping me. Simple

1: Connect your external hard drive to new Mac

2: Open Photos on new Mac

3: Open 'Users' in hard drive and select user with iphoto library

4: Right click on iphoto library in your pictures folder and select 'open package contents'

5: Find the master folder and drag it into photos

Done. Only thing you will have to reorganise your albums because there wont be any. Why couldnt apple tell me this. Two weeks I was frustrated!! haha oh well.

That is not a solution to anything - it is a last resort hail Mary for people who do not keep good backups and get themselves into an ir-recoverable mess due to their own actions - following your directions loses massive amounts of data including all edits, all organization, all metadata edits, all projects, etc, etc, etc

You really need to warn peoole that your "solution" is more a new nightmare than a solution to anything

The solution is as posted by Terence

LN

Nov 20, 2015 2:30 PM in response to zane_k

See the text in red below:

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

User uploaded file

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

Albums and smart albums can be sorted by Title, by Date with oldest first and by Date with newest first.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Apple-Photos Feedback.

User uploaded file

Cannot open iPhoto library in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.