Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd situation about installing applications

Subject: iTunes doesn't allow installation of my older apps.

(1): This questions covers both paid for apps and Free Apps, both.

(2): Years ago my Apple account was under a different ID which I cancelled because my email gave me constant problems. A new Apple ID was created,

which solved all problems.

.(3) Recently I upgraded my iTouch from IOS 4.2 to 6 and backed up all my apps.

(4) iTunes would not install my apps under the old user ID, but only those bought under my new Apple ID, hence Apple forced me to Jailbreak so can load

my favorite again. I'm not a gamer so the few I have pertain to my business. The total apps I have fit on 2 pages of my iTouch.

(5) Example: I attempted to load my Carpenter Level (which happens to be a FREE app) yet when I open it it ask for my old user ID which has long been closed.

My newer Id don't work. I'm aware a program such as Installous would have allowed me to continue using my old free app, yet even after Jailbreak I still have a problem loading it. I really hated having to Jailbreak my iTouch, now Apple is forcing me to search and find cracked sites. I really don't have time playing cat and mouse with Apple. My wife wanted to purchase a new iPhone 6s 128mb, but now after this experience we don't trust Apple anymore.

(6) Is there is a way to fix or get around this problem, we may give Apple a 2nd thought. Spending another thousand for an Apple product seems to fly in the face of absurdity when a simple little free program causes such huge headaches.

(possibilities: Scrap iTunes and go with 3rd Party programs to allow installation ???? --- other Food for thought ????)

iPod touch, Windows XP, iPod Touch 4g 64gb ios 6.1.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:45 AM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 5:11 AM in response to defromfullerton

1. Apps are forever tied to the Apple ID that purchased them. That's why you shouldn't use different IDs when purchasing apps. This is not a new concept and has been the case the App Store opened in 2008. You should simply just update your existing ID with a new email address.

2. Discussion of jailbroken devices are not permitted on these forums per the Terms of Use.

3. Nobody here cares what phone you use, so do what you want.

4. For free apps ,why don't you just redownload it using your current ID?

Oct 6, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Hi, I do appreciate your answer although I was hoping there would be a fix.

RE: 1. Simply updating the existing ID with a new one, would just compound the problem. Then ALL apps won't work anymore, at least 60% of do work at the moment.

RE: 4 I have been updating the Free apps with the new ID, but I also noticed some free apps today won't work with 6.1.6, hence I need my older apps which used to work before updating ios to 6.1.6

There is a solution which route I refrained taking, but it appears I have no choice..

Thank you for your effort and explanation.

Odd situation about installing applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.