Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

* HELP! 12" MacBook problems after installing El Capitan

Hi

I was using a 12" Macbook with the latest version of OS X Yosemite installed and, shortly after setting it up about 6 weeks ago, I installed Windows 10 and as there is only one input on the MB, I purchased a "Hebron" USB type C Hub with SD/TF and Ethernet (www.leicke.com) and DC 5V input for external power.

I followed the instructions to first connect HUB to the single USB-C port on the MB and used the supplied cable to connect the HUB to external power before connecting any other devices to it, after doing so, nothing was shown in finder.

I then connected an 8GB flash drive (for downloading the latest windows software to) and a Samsung external DVD Writer with my Windows 10 DVD inserted and both devices where shown in Finder and on the desktop (8GB Storage and ESD-ISO).

I then ran BootCamp and followed the instructions for partitioning the MB drive and installing Windows 10. The installation went fine and I had no problems until yesterday when I upgraded to El Capitan.

After upgrading to El Capitan, I tried to boot into Windows 10 and this failed; I booted back into Mac OS X and checked Disk Utility and found that the 95GB I had set aside for Windows 10 was still there but was called "Untitled" and could not access it - I then read in these forums that many other members had been getting the same problem and some were able to get this sorted out by some members in the forums but, as I did not have much on my Windows 10 installation, I thought that it would be just as easy to re-install Windows.

I then went through the procedure for connecting the HUB (as shown earlier in this post- my 8GB flash drive and ) but when I launched BootCamp and chose to download the latest Windows software and install Windows 10. I clicked on "continue" at the bottom right of the page and got the following error message:

"There is no USB drive connected to the system, please connect a USB drive to continue".

I just don't get it; how is that possible when both the 8GB flash and DVD drives that were connected to the USB Hub and were shown in Finder and on the Desktop so, the HUB is working so why am I getting "no USB drive connected"?

I've tried again and again to sort this out by disconnecting the HUB, rebooting the MB and reconnecting the HUB and devices but, I'm still getting the same problem and yet, apart from upgrading to El Capitan yesterday, nothing else has changed since I first used the HUB succesfully to install Windows 10 about 6 weeks ago.

One point to note is that, when I ejected the HUB / 8GB flash and DVD drives under Devices in Finder, I have "Remote Disc" showing but I'm sure that this was there before I connected the HUB, 8GB flash drive and DVD drive.

All help and advice would be appreciated.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 2:39 AM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Brave01Heart

BUMP!

Surely this must be a 'software bug' in El Capitan?

First of all, many user's have reported that after upgrading to El Capitan, although still there, their Windows partition was renamed "untitled" and therefore could not be used.

Note: When I was installing El Capitan, there were two partitions, Mackintosh and Bootcamp and I was asked which partition to install it to, Mackintosh HD was already chosen so, I don't understand why the OS X installation interfered with the Bootcamp partition?

Then, a further issue, with my system clearly seeing the two devices that were connected to the powered USB Hub and the software on those two devices could be accessed but, when I clicked on 'continue' in BootCamp set up, a message appears saying that there is no USB drive connected to the system?

Oct 7, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Brave01Heart

I posted this topic over 24 hours ago and I know that it can take sometime for forum members to reply but, I'm sure that there must be members out there who could help and advise me on this issue?

Until I get a positive response, I cannot move forward with re-installing Windows 10 on my 12" MacBook.

Of course I could always 're-install' OS X Yosemite which cam pre-installed' on my MB but I'd rather not have to do that.

I was surfing the web last night and came across an article on Mac Rumours http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/30/el-cap-boot-camp-no-usb/) which talked about Windows Drive-Less installations as part of a new feature in OS X El Capitan but unfortunately, whilst many MacBook can support this new feature, the new 12" MacBook cannot.

That's a great shame because, with there only being one (1) USB type C input on the 12" MacBook, this new MacBook eally should have been included in the list of MacBooks able to support this new feature. If it had of been, then assuming that my problems are not due to a software bug in OS X El Capitan, I would not now be having the problems that I am now having.

* HELP! 12" MacBook problems after installing El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.