Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos external editing

I could choose an external editor for iPhotos, edit in PSE for greater tools etc and save back into iPhoto.

Any news on this capability for Photos? Urgently needed if I am to continue using Photos please

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:56 AM

The current version of Photos (that came with with El Capitan) has the ability to use Extensions. Not quite the same, but it does allow you to manipulate your images with tools from external editors within the Photos Window. However this requires that a: the editor is purchased through the Mac App Store, and b: that the developer has written a hook for their app to make it available within Photos.

AT time of writing there are four such apps on the App Store and, in my testing, it works well. But it's not the same as the external editor feature in iPhoto.

Your options: work within the above limitations or use another photo manager.

The Photos for Mac forum is here

Photos for Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 9:56 AM in response to nomad1951

The current version of Photos (that came with with El Capitan) has the ability to use Extensions. Not quite the same, but it does allow you to manipulate your images with tools from external editors within the Photos Window. However this requires that a: the editor is purchased through the Mac App Store, and b: that the developer has written a hook for their app to make it available within Photos.

AT time of writing there are four such apps on the App Store and, in my testing, it works well. But it's not the same as the external editor feature in iPhoto.

Your options: work within the above limitations or use another photo manager.

The Photos for Mac forum is here

Photos for Mac

Photos external editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.