Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP server list disappears in mail

For the past few days, I have noticed problems with sending mail. I went to the preferences>accounts and noticed that my smtp list was gone. I re-entered the icloud server, manually, and everything worked again. Now, I am getting the same problem, except when I try to enter the SMTP server list, save it, it stays for a little while then disappears within a few minutes. By disappears, I mean I save changes, exit preferences, then go back in and try to edit SMTP list and there is nothing on the list. Seems that there is a corrupted file? Connection doctor says it can connect to the server just fine, and my exchange account works fine. Problem is relegated to the iCloud account, and particularly to sending, not receiving.

Info: 2014 13 inch macbook pro retina

Mavericks 10.9.5

Mac Mail applicaiton

setting up icloud mail in basic way, no fancy servers or anything

Attempted fixes:

restart app, restart computer, restart in safemode, rebuild mailbox from within mail, remove .plist files from library then restart mail app to allow them to be rebuilt

Who knows how to get in and delete corrupted files in the system somewhere? Do I have to export the mailboxes and reinstall everything, or something?

Thanks in advance,

-macjack

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 2:04 AM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 7:52 AM in response to macandrew1

Hello macjack,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you've been having issues with sending email with your iCloud Mail account. You've already done some great troubleshooting, however a step I think that should be done is that you need to remove the account from your computer, and then add it back.

iCloud: Change iCloud feature settings

Take care.

Oct 6, 2015 8:46 AM in response to chuck_3rd

thanks, alex_h1. I just deleted all email and Internet accounts, and have reinstalled them. Problem persists. you are supposed to see something in the smtp server list, right? And you are supposed to be able to enter information and have it save and stay there, right? Strange that it continues to only affect the iCloud account But the server list doesn't share across accounts like it used to before the problem started. Seems there is some file there that must be bad. I used to be able to choose among different servers to send from when composing a message and now that is gone as a selectable options.

thanks for your interest.

-macjack

SMTP server list disappears in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.