Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing W10 on BCA 6 and El Capitan 10.11

Hi, I have problems installing W10 on my Mac.

Here's an overview of what happened:

OS X Yosemite, with W7 Bootcamp (everything is fine).

Updated to OSX El Capitan, Bootcamp no longer found (holding alt on boot doesn't show Bootcamp).

Used BCA to Remove Windows 7 or later version. (space allocated in HDD for Bootcamp is back to single partition).

Used BCA to Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk using Win10_English_x64.iso downloaded from Microsoft along with latest support drivers from Apple. Also checked Install Windows 7 and or later version.

After waiting a couple hours and the USB Bootcamp is finally ready, I set 70gb for the Bootcamp partition, eventually the Mac automatically reboots but never booted up to the Windows 10 bootcamp installation (The reboot is just like any normal reboot that reboots back to Mac).

Opened BCA and it now shows Remove Windows 7 and or later version.

Checked Disk Utility, and the partition for Bootcamp is there but most of it is unused.

User uploaded file

What could be the problem here? I also noticed that my BCA is still showing Windows 7 while I've read somewhere that on El Capitan, Bootcamp no longer requires USB Drive, or atleast shows Windows 8. http://blog.twocanoes.com/post/130203487014/apple-boot-camp-no-longer-requires-u sb-flash-drive?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed% 3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner

Checked the Win10_English_x64.iso for MD5 and SHA1 and everything is fine.

OS X El Capitan 10.11

MBP Retina 15" Mid 2014

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:44 AM

39 replies

Oct 6, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Loner T

Yes I am able to remove the "installed" partial bootcamp, like so.

User uploaded file

Same result, it reboots automatically but doesn't boot to the Windows 10 installation, instead boots back to El Capitan. This was after doing a successful NVRAM Reset (CMD+ Opt + P + R, Second Chime). Wasn't able to pull of a successful SMC Reset though, Shift + Opt + Control + Power doesn't do anything.

How it looks like on, Disk Utility:

User uploaded file

Thanks for your help! I see you a lot in these Bootcamp troubleshooting! Appreciate your help to us!

Oct 6, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Totenkreuz

Your Mac 2014 is a UEFI model, you can install Windows without BC Assistant. Create a Free Space part using Disk Utility, use the W10 USB installer and select EFI Boot using Alt/Option. The Free Space will be split into MSR (128MB) and remainder as MSD (NTFS). Do you want to try this method? EFI boot is a faster than the older BIOS/MBR method.

Oct 6, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Loner T

Haven't tried installing Windows this way, but I am willing to try..

By Creating Free Space part using Disk Utility, I'm assuming this is done this way? Did i get it correctly?

User uploaded file

What format should the Free Space be in?

As for the W10 USB Installer, can I use the one BCA made? Or are there any specific process involved that I should follow?

User uploaded file

How do I proceed with "select EFI Boot using Alt/Option.". I assume this is done by holding Alt/Option on boot with the W10 USB Installer plugged in? Did that earlier, the Boot selection only shows Untitled (which is OS X 10.11) and wasn't detecting W10. Sorry, was new with this UEFI/EFI thing, always have installed Windows using BC. Thanks for your patience and help!

Oct 6, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Totenkreuz

1. Click on the Format drop down list and look for Free Space. Free Space does not have a file system.

Totenkreuz wrote:

Haven't tried installing Windows this way, but I am willing to try..

By Creating Free Space part using Disk Utility, I'm assuming this is done this way? Did i get it correctly?

User uploaded file

What format should the Free Space be in?

2. Yes. As you can see, you have a bootmgr.efi. This will show up as EFI boot. Your Alt/Option steps are correct.

As for the W10 USB Installer, can I use the one BCA made? Or are there any specific process involved that I should follow?

User uploaded file

How do I proceed with "select EFI Boot using Alt/Option.". I assume this is done by holding Alt/Option on boot with the W10 USB Installer plugged in? Did that earlier, the Boot selection only shows Untitled (which is OS X 10.11) and wasn't detecting W10. Sorry, was new with this UEFI/EFI thing, always have installed Windows using BC. Thanks for your patience and help!

Oct 6, 2015 6:53 PM in response to Totenkreuz

Create FAT32. We can convert it to Free Space, if necessary. From a Terminal can you run the following command

diskutil listfilesystems

Formattable file systems

These file system personalities can be used for erasing and partitioning.

When specifying a personality as a parameter to a verb, case is not considered.

Certain common aliases (also case-insensitive) are listed below as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSONALITY USER VISIBLE NAME

ExFAT ExFAT

Free Space Free Space

(or) free

MS-DOS MS-DOS (FAT)

MS-DOS FAT12 MS-DOS (FAT12)

MS-DOS FAT16 MS-DOS (FAT16)

MS-DOS FAT32 MS-DOS (FAT32)

(or) fat32

HFS+ Mac OS Extended

Case-sensitive HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)

(or) hfsx

Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

(or) jhfsx

Journaled HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

(or) jhfs+

Oct 6, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Loner T

diskutil listfilesystems

Formattable file systems

These file system personalities can be used for erasing and partitioning.

When specifying a personality as a parameter to a verb, case is not considered.

Certain common aliases (also case-insensitive) are listed below as well.

PERSONALITY USER VISIBLE NAME

ExFAT ExFAT

Free Space Free Space

(or) free

MS-DOS MS-DOS (FAT)

MS-DOS FAT12 MS-DOS (FAT12)

MS-DOS FAT16 MS-DOS (FAT16)

MS-DOS FAT32 MS-DOS (FAT32)

(or) fat32

HFS+ Mac OS Extended

Case-sensitive HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)

(or) hfsx

Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

(or) jhfsx

Journaled HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

(or) jhfs+

Is this how I create FAT32 and how do I convert it to Free Space?

User uploaded file

Problem installing W10 on BCA 6 and El Capitan 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.