Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tabs left side of table as in former versions?

Hi,

How can I place the tabs on the left side of the table, as in former versions of numbers? Now the tabs are on top.

Thank you and best regards,

Steve

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Numbers 3.5.3

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:21 AM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2015 4:23 AM in response to SteveStevenStevenson

Hi Steve,

Numbers '09 (Numbers 2) had the Sheet tabs down the left:

User uploaded file

Numbers 3 has the Sheet tabs across the top (with contextual menus revealed by the down triangle (the "v")

User uploaded file

I find that two-fingure scrolling in the Numbers 3 Sheet (Tab) bar is faster than clicking through the right/left arrows

User uploaded file

Left/right arrows are slow.

Three-figure dragging is a quick way to shove little-used Sheets to the right, leaving important Sheets to the left.

SG has created an Applescript to produce a vertical list of sheets.

Sending my reply now before the forum software logs me out 🙂.

Regards,

Ian

Oct 7, 2015 2:12 AM in response to SteveStevenStevenson

I wish it was still down the left. You could see all your sheets and all your tables listed, or collapse it to just the sheets. No scrolling or scripts required. You could click on a particular table on a particular sheet to select it. Across the top all you can see the first few sheets and not the tables (until you click) and you have to scroll to see more. It works okay if your spreadsheet is a sheet or two with one table per sheet but it is so much less useful than the old way. But get used to it, it is highly unlikely the old way will be brought back.

Oct 7, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hello Yellowbox,

Thank you for your long answer. I am looking for this feature, as I have to run through 15 sheets one after the other, and then go back to the first. I had a perfect workflow once, now it disappeared with the new version. No scrolling or scripts were required, and I do not intend to introduce them now. Luckily, I found out that "old" Numbers 9 is still on my iMac, the document just opened with "new" Numbers 3 when clicked.

BR

Steve

tabs left side of table as in former versions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.