Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the star rating in iTunes about to disappear?

I don't know if it only happened with the latest iTunes release or the update to El Capitan but it seems like it is no longer possible to (comfortably) give a star rating in iTunes for Mac. I have Version 12.3.0.44 running on El Capitan and the star rating no longer shows up in the playlist view or in the context menu of songs (e.g. the three-dots-menu). I can still see the rating under information for each song and in custom list views if I choose to but at least on the Mac it's no longer possible to get to it quickly. Instead the heart button pops up everywhere which I think is hardly an alternative for me. Most of my smarts playlists are based on the star rating in the four or five star area, and they do still work, but it kind of interrupts my way of categorizing music.

Is there some way to still easily give the star rating I've overlooked? It still works on iOS 9 (tap the playing title) and also on Windows afaik. And is there a chance these are the first steps to get rid of it altogether (which would be a shame imho)?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 2:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:55 AM

Hi Yodahome,

We don't know Apple's plans. Personally, I'd be very surprised (and kind of shattered, actually) if the star ratings went away.

The quickest way I know to rate songs (if you're not using the Songs view with the ratings column displayed) is to Control-click or right-click on the track, choose Rating from the pull-down menu that appears, then select the proper star rating.

You can also turn off the heart ratings in iTunes > Preferences > General -- use the Ratings menu, about halfway down.

Hope this helps a little.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 1:55 AM in response to yodahome

Hi Yodahome,

We don't know Apple's plans. Personally, I'd be very surprised (and kind of shattered, actually) if the star ratings went away.

The quickest way I know to rate songs (if you're not using the Songs view with the ratings column displayed) is to Control-click or right-click on the track, choose Rating from the pull-down menu that appears, then select the proper star rating.

You can also turn off the heart ratings in iTunes > Preferences > General -- use the Ratings menu, about halfway down.

Hope this helps a little.

Is the star rating in iTunes about to disappear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.