Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A valid DVD drive could not be found (-70012)

In january I decided to replace the internal HD on my MacBook Pro Mid 2010 running Yosemite with an SSD. Additionally I chose to move my DVD reader to an external enclosure and use the free space to fit an additional disk using a special cradle. As I tried to read a DVD for the for the first time using the original optical drive in the external enclosure the "A valid DVD drive could not be found (-70012)" error messaged popped up... I found a workaround that involved altering the DVDPlayback framework file. It worked fine until I updated to El Capitan... the problem is back and the same workaround will not work... the files are not there anymore, because of System Integrity protection... now how can i keep on using the now external reader with Apple's DVD player? (as a backup I switched to VLC, but the DVD navigation *****) Do I have to turn off Rootless System Integrity Protection or could Apple just issue a patch allowing external DVD players to be used? Or is there a new workaround?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), MID 2010

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:43 AM

I'm also having the same issue. I also took my disc drive out of my 15" MBP to accommodate a 250gb SSD but have been using an external Samsung Blu-ray player ever since. I've had to replace the dvdplayback.framework twice (once when I made the change, and once when upgrading to Yosemite) but the trick won't work this time for me either. Does anyone have a workaround for this? Interwebs are a little lacking on any solutions.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 8:43 AM in response to ojpcoach

I'm also having the same issue. I also took my disc drive out of my 15" MBP to accommodate a 250gb SSD but have been using an external Samsung Blu-ray player ever since. I've had to replace the dvdplayback.framework twice (once when I made the change, and once when upgrading to Yosemite) but the trick won't work this time for me either. Does anyone have a workaround for this? Interwebs are a little lacking on any solutions.

A valid DVD drive could not be found (-70012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.