Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A camera icon has appeared at the side of my text message box. The box itself is now grey and seems to expect a photo or a movie. I cannot get rid of this to send a normal message - help please!!

Re. iphone 5C IOS 9.0.1

A camera icon has appeared at the side of my text message box. The box itself is now grey and seems to expect a photo or a movie. I cannot get rid of this to send a normal message - help please!!

John

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:59 AM

Thanks. I've installed an OS update which seems to have solved the problem for the moment but I'll keep your advice on record.

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Hartoch

A significant number of people are having a similar problem (gray box and 0:00 rather than a camera icon) since iOS 9. One solution (at least a temporary one) is to quit Messages and then double-click the Home button to open the app switcher. In the app switcher find the Messages app and slide it up to remove it. Then close app switcher by clicking the Home button. That should solve the problem -- for a while at least. Another solution that is working for some is to go to Settings > Messages and toggle either the Show Subject Field or Character Count setting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.