Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a phone and the "find my phone" is stopping me from erasing and resetting my phone.

iPhone 4, version 7.1.2

Model MC603X/A

13.5 GB

Can't erase and reset phone that I bought 2nd hand 'cause "Find My Phone" appears to be stopping the process.

I was given the pin and password but they don't help.

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:27 AM

Have the previous owner follow the steps listed here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

If you can't contact the previous owner, sorry, you're out of luck. No one here can help you, nor can/will Apple.

10 replies

Oct 6, 2015 4:03 AM in response to simonfromarmadale

You need the password for the existing AppleID on that phone to turn off Find My Phone. If the password you were given doesn't work, you need to get the right one from the seller.

This stuff surprises me whenever I read it. Strange to think that someone would put his phone in someone else's hands while still logged in. Can you buy apps and music on the seller's account? 🙂

Oct 6, 2015 5:00 AM in response to petermac87

Not without the Apple ID Password, which, if the OP was in possession of, they could sign the phone out of the original owners iCloud account

True... but there would usually be other stuff available. Contacts? Other iCloud stuff? The principle is the same; it's still giving someone access to your account at some level.

Oh well. It's maybe a $50 phone, max. Not much to lose.

When I was looking for a used phone on Craigslist, a photo showing "Slide to set up" was a good sign.

Oct 6, 2015 10:58 AM in response to AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader wrote:

Not without the Apple ID Password, which, if the OP was in possession of, they could sign the phone out of the original owners iCloud account

True... but there would usually be other stuff available. Contacts? Other iCloud stuff? The principle is the same; it's still giving someone access to your account at some level.

You sound like you know a bit too much about stealing phones and data. Why even go there? It is of no use to the OP. 😕

Pete

I bought a phone and the "find my phone" is stopping me from erasing and resetting my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.