Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can different apple ID be signed to download free app on iPad?

A question for more knowledgable iPad users:

Can I sign into App store using another's iPad to download a free app?

The situation: A young girl from France is staying with us to attend school for a year in US. Her iPad needs a (free) app from the us App store to access textbooks online. The problem - the US store says "this Apple ID only valid on French store, will switch you to there" then the French store says, "This app not available on French store, will switch you to US Store."

Can I sign into iCloud on her iPad using my Apple ID, download the app, and then have her sign back in with her ID? I don't want to blow away the apps she has.

I don't have an iPad, just Mac and iPhone, so not familiar with it.

Thanks for any help

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:56 AM

You can sign into Settings > App And iTunes Stores (iTunes & App Store if it's not on iOS 9), but the app will be tied to your account - so only your account will be able to download updates to the app. iPads work in the same way as iPhones, all content is tied to the account that downloaded it (and you don't need to sign into iCloud on her iPad, that is only used for backups) - she could create her own US account for whilst she's there : Create an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store account without a credit card or other payment method - Apple Suppor… (and be aware of associating the iPad to an account if she redownloads an account's past purchases on it : View and remove associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support)

Whilst she's in the US she can only use the US store, you have to be in a country to use its store so she can't download anything from the French store until she returns there.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 5:56 AM in response to lonestarm

You can sign into Settings > App And iTunes Stores (iTunes & App Store if it's not on iOS 9), but the app will be tied to your account - so only your account will be able to download updates to the app. iPads work in the same way as iPhones, all content is tied to the account that downloaded it (and you don't need to sign into iCloud on her iPad, that is only used for backups) - she could create her own US account for whilst she's there : Create an iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store account without a credit card or other payment method - Apple Suppor… (and be aware of associating the iPad to an account if she redownloads an account's past purchases on it : View and remove associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support)

Whilst she's in the US she can only use the US store, you have to be in a country to use its store so she can't download anything from the French store until she returns there.

Can different apple ID be signed to download free app on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.