Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to send & receive texts on iPad Wifi only

I have an iPad Air & iPhone 6 Plus on 8.4

I thought there is a way to send and receive texts on a iPad with WiFi only? (to non and from non Apple Devices)

I thought it would just use my iPhone to send it, no?

If so I don't see any way to set it up so the iPad actually can send and receives texts messages

If the above is not possible then is there a way for a iPhone user to send a group message to an apple user and a non apple user using iMessage & text to the appropriate users? Because when they send a group message I don't get it on my iPad as it was sent as a text and not iMessage.

Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 8.1, null

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:59 AM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:06 AM in response to nonyabizzness

The feature is called continuity and the instructions are here - Use Continuity to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

It will let you share SMS messages between the iPad and iPhone - the iPhone actually sends and receives all SMS messages as they require a voice channel, and the iPhone then shares those messages with your other continuity devices over wifi.

Oct 6, 2015 6:37 AM in response to nonyabizzness

You need Bluetooth on because that is how continuity handshakes between devices to authenticate the request from one device for access to another. The actual data exchanged (e.g. an SMS message) is actually sent over a peer-to-peer wifi connection.

If you're intersted, search Arstechnica or MacWorld as they've each had articles explaining the details of continuity and why it needs both BT and wifi on. BT will only be running in its very low power mode so won't impact battery life much at all.

How to send & receive texts on iPad Wifi only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.