Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saved music won't play offline

I have a trial membership and have songs downloaded which play online. Offline, only paid songs will play. I can see titles but they will not play.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:51 AM

13 replies

Jan 20, 2017 4:29 AM in response to PickwickVI

I've recently discovered the same problem and another level to it. I've downloaded music and added it to my library, and certain albums to artists aren't available to play online or offline. I know I've downloaded them and I played them before. Such is the case with some songs in an album playlist. Some of them I can play, others aren't available while others are. It's quite annoying to be honest. Can they just no longer be played via free on Apple Music or do I have to do something to get them back? Issue is on an iPhone 6, with the most current iOS.

Oct 6, 2015 9:40 AM in response to PickwickVI

Greetings PickwickVI,

Thank you for becoming a member of the Apple Support Communities and for taking the time to post your first question! We’re glad you’re here and can’t wait to hear more from you! :-)

It sounds like this music which will not play offline may need to be saved to your iPod touch for offline listening. The attached article below explains this process.

Save songs, albums, and playlists to listen offline

You can save songs, albums, or playlists to listen to when you're not connected to the Internet.* You must save songs, albums, or playlists on each device that you want to use for offline listening.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. In the Music app, find the item that you want to save.
  2. Tap the More Options icon User uploaded file to the right of the song, album, or playlist name.
  3. Tap Make Available Offline.

Songs and albums appear under My Music > Library. Playlists appear under My Music > Playlists.

You can view just songs, albums, playlists that you saved for offline listening:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: In the My Music tab, tap Library. Then tap any of the different views (Artists, Albums, etc.), and enable Music Available Offline.

Add music from the Apple Music catalog to your library - Apple Support

I am a huge fan of Apple Music and can understand the frustration of not being able to listen offline. If these steps were helpful to you, we would like to hear back from you because this information may help other community members experiencing a similar issue.

We look forward to your continued involvement in the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2015 4:08 AM in response to PickwickVI

EEven though I have my playlist downloaded on my iPod Touch, when the device is turned on with no Wifi, the apple Music dowloaded songs will not play. Only the songs I have from iTunes downloaded play. This problem is annoying, and I have called Apple a few times to report this issue. It happened in iOS 8 and they fixed it. Once iOS 9 came out, the issue returned. What I do to get around it for now is to turn my wifi on while I am in the house, start playing a track from my downloaded playlist, and while the song is playing, switch scrrens and shut wifi off. I then switch back to the playlist and pause the song. only by doing this am I able to play my downloaded music while not in wifi. When you turn on your iPod, Apple Music is always looking for wifi and will not play if it dies not make that connection. While in wifi, I tape For You as well as New and let them populate and then start my downloaded playlist.

ANother issue is that the music videos will not expand to full screen on the iPad Mini. This too was an issue in iOS 8 that I reported to Aplle and was fixed only to return when iOS 9 came out. I am using the latest update of iOS9

i Wish Apple would at leas acknowledge the issue and let people know they are working on a fiix.

Jan 10, 2016 7:41 AM in response to JCity156

i've talked to support they say it's a known issue but they have no fix yet... very frustrating i'll be calling in again today to see what's going on, may have to cancel apple music for a while until this issue is fixed, i use my iPod for music mostly when I'm out of wifi, if i can't play music, then I'm not interested in paying for something that's useless to me

Mar 10, 2016 10:25 AM in response to AppleJoe

I as well came across this issue I did a reset on my iPod and had to re-download everything and still came across the same issue. We pay for this service and you guys have yet no fix for it and it's been months. Because of this issue I have canceled my subscription and have moved my services to another provider like Spotify or Pandora !

Mar 11, 2016 9:06 PM in response to teal90

This is extraordinarily frustrating. I have the latest OS on my iPhone 6 and have a family membership for Apple Music. None of the downloaded music will play unless I am connected to the internet. I was on a plane coming back from a business trip and downloaded a bunch of music to play on the way home and ended up not being able to listen to any of the new music but just the music I had that was purchased. Is this some ploy for Apple to try and get us to buy music on top of the streaming service????

Apple, get it together. Your whole pitch is that you control the hardware and software so things will "just work." Well, this are not working.....!

Mar 16, 2016 9:47 AM in response to PickwickVI

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue! I "downloaded" playlists for a cruise, where I WILL NOT pay for internet. The music will not play although it says downloaded.

Oddly it will work 45% of the time in "Airplane Mode". But when you use it in airplane mode then you can't play it over Bluetooth on a beats pill or headphones!! I'm incredibly frustrated!

Sep 28, 2016 7:18 AM in response to PickwickVI

I am incredibly late but oh well.

I had this exact problem too, it had gone on for about a week before I decided to do this.

1. Go to settings and head to 'Music'

2. The part where it says 'iCloud Music Library' should be switched on already.

3. Switch it off.

4. Reset your iPhone/iPod

5. Go back to settings

6. Switch it back on

7 Go to music, and everything you had downloaded from Apple Music previously should show up, but the songs will not be downloaded.

8. Re-download everything you had and it *SHOULD* begin to work like normal.

Hope I helped!

Saved music won't play offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.