Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual boot

Hi all...

I tried for the first time install Windows 10 in my macbook using Bootcamp.

So, I first use disk utility to create two partitions on my HDD. One for mac (HFS+) and another for Windows (NTFS). I have used bootcamp assistant to do all the work on configure the Windows partition and the instalation was nice and without any problem.

After that I can choose wich SO to start.

But after some time, Mac OS doesn't start anymore. Using disk utility to verify the partition it returns me an error code 8 and cannot repair.

Last time it occured I cleaned this partition and reinstalled OSX. But 2 days after that, the problem occurs again.

Windows stay working fine and accessing mac partition, where I put all my files (use Paragon drivers for it).

My question.. why is this occurring? Isn't possible to have NTFS and HFS+ bootable in the same HDD? I must do it using diferent HDDs?

Is there a way to repair it without need of reinstall all the SO again? Tried fcsk -fy and it fails too.

Thank you very much for your help.

My Macbook is a Pro 15" late 2011 - HDD 1TB - 8GB RAM - OSX Yosemite

Claudiney

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:45 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Claudiney

Claudiney wrote:

Windows stay working fine and accessing mac partition, where I put all my files (use Paragon drivers for it).

My question.. why is this occurring? Isn't possible to have NTFS and HFS+ bootable in the same HDD? I must do it using diferent HDDs?

The drivers from Paragon OSX-to-NTFS or Windows-to-HFS+ cause corruption issues. If you have CoreStorage volume/volume group, it is worse, based on my testing. My recommendation would be to remove Paragon completely. You may want to use an external drive formatted as FAT32 to share files.

Oct 6, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you all for these information.

I really believe these drivers are good enough.. that's a big problem.

If I have understood so, if it's not necessary to share files I can put Windows files on Windows partitions and the mac files on its partition.. them will see one another only with read access and these problem will not appear. If I need some file from one to another, I can copy from the target partition. But never save from one to another. That's right? The idea was to have all the files at one place. And so just one backup routine.

Or use the external drive as you told me.

Do you know any way to repair this problem?? Or I really have to clean the partition and reinstall OS X?

Thank you again.

Oct 6, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Claudiney

You can boot in Safe Mode and try to boot normally - Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support .

You can also try

1. the fsck method in Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support .

2. or Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks - Apple Support

Your issue is related to Paragon not closing file system properly causing them to be 'dirty' when you switch between two OSes.

dual boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.