Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset or find out Pin when using Apple Pay

I am new to using Apple Pay. I tried to use it at Whole Foods store and after I touched the iPhone for Apple Pay, it asked for a Pin. I tried my debit card and it didn't work. Is this a Pin that was set up though Apple Pay? I tried deleting the card and putting it back on Apple Pay but it didn't prompt me to enter a Pin then. I have read that using credit is best but I was under the impression you could just whip out you phone and use it to pay and not need to touch nothing. I just would like to find out what Pin they are requesting. Can anyone help me?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:53 AM

Hi

When paying using Apple Pay on your iPhone, you need to verify your identity using either Touch ID or your iPhone passcode.

To set up your iPhone to use Touch ID instead of requiring a passcode, go to: Settings > Touch ID and passcode - check that Apple Pay is enabled (under the heading "Use Touch ID for").

With this enabled, to pay in store:

• Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader without placing your finger on Touch ID. Your iPhone will wake up, and you'll see your default card on your screen.
  • Tap your default card. From the list of cards, tap the one you want to use.
  • Place your finger on Touch ID (just rest it there, do not press the button) and move your iPhone near the reader to complete the payment.

More information: Set up and use Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 6:53 AM in response to cokemeistr

Hi

When paying using Apple Pay on your iPhone, you need to verify your identity using either Touch ID or your iPhone passcode.

To set up your iPhone to use Touch ID instead of requiring a passcode, go to: Settings > Touch ID and passcode - check that Apple Pay is enabled (under the heading "Use Touch ID for").

With this enabled, to pay in store:

• Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader without placing your finger on Touch ID. Your iPhone will wake up, and you'll see your default card on your screen.
  • Tap your default card. From the list of cards, tap the one you want to use.
  • Place your finger on Touch ID (just rest it there, do not press the button) and move your iPhone near the reader to complete the payment.

More information: Set up and use Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2015 9:38 AM in response to cokemeistr

cokemeistr wrote:

I have read that using credit is best but I was under the impression you could just whip out you phone and use it to pay and not need to touch nothing.

Individual merchants may have different policies and that’s a problem. Some even require a signature when the transaction amount exceeds a certain limit they have imposed.There is no PIN associated with Apple Pay and it sounds like the merchant has incorrectly set up their payment terminal. It should not be asking for any PIN. When using a debit card most terminals will allow you process the payment as credit rather than debit by simply hitting the Enter key (with nothing typed) when asked for a PIN. Let me stress again that individual merchants are causing most of the problems with ALL of the payment systems (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Samsung Pay, Android Pay) as they either don’t trust them or don’t know how to program their terminals to work with them.

Oct 6, 2015 9:48 AM in response to cokemeistr

You may wish to report your experience directly to Apple here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-pay.html

The feedback form enables you to report failed transactions and other issues relating to Apple Pay. For example, you can report problems with specific merchants, transactions and/or payment cards. Feedback submissions help Apple to identity, investigate and address issues.

How to reset or find out Pin when using Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.