Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

poor audio quality output

I send a file from FCP X to Compressor and I select audio but the output has poor quality. If I hear the sound in the FCP X the sound is with good quality but when I send it to compressor, incomprehensibly the sound of the file which I get is poor. I tried it generating aiff wav and caf with 24 and 32 bits with 44.1 and 48 Khz but nothing works. is a bad communication between FCPX and Compressor? any idea?

Compressor, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Compressor 4.2.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:27 AM

12 replies

Oct 18, 2015 2:24 PM in response to sergioMi

It is making me crazy. Finally, I got the right sound generating it from FCP X later I create a Soundround in Compressor and I add video and audio, thus I get the right sound for Prores 4444 XQ and I apply the features of Compressor to improve the sound. However, when I want to convert from de Prores 4444 XQ to H.264 it do it completely bad, the file has a horrible sound, but the crazy it is that if I get only sound from the Prores 4444 XQ to H.264 The sound is righ! 😕 If a find a solution I will write it, but I think there is any bug here which must be fixed.

Mar 27, 2016 6:52 PM in response to sergioMi

I have had the exact same problem. I am editing 13 projects with the same settings. They are acts from a talent show that we had at work. They all use practically the same settings but this one act just sounds horrible as soon as it gets sent to Compressor. It even sounds bad when you press play in compressor even before selecting your output settings. So, whatever fcpx is sending to Compressor has the lower quality sound. My only solution was to export using FCPX's Share command instead of sending it to Compressor. The FCPX version sounds fine.

I doubt that it will help at all to know this but I am using 2 audio sources , both are stereo 96kHz WAV files. I'm using a Waves L1 limiter plugin on the audio. Sounds great on all of these projects except for just this one. The "bad" audio I'm describing sounds almost like an 8-bit recording. I hope they fix this bug, but I think the lesson here is to check your renders because I've had other issues, like fonts rendering wrong in my Scrolling Credits. Looks fine in FCPX but has the wrong font in the final render.

Mar 27, 2016 7:22 PM in response to Russ H

Perhaps not. I was calling it a bug because that's what it felt like since I'm not the only person who experienced it. But as a programmer I should know that it isn't a bug unless it is repeatable. What I should have said is, I sure hope someone can identify the exact set of circumstances that caused this issue and if in doing so they expose a bug that it would be great if it could be fixed.

Mar 27, 2016 8:36 PM in response to Dan Shimmyo

I believe I found a fix for the moment although it is a bit of a compromise. It looks like my problem has something to do with the use of audio plugins such as the L1 limiter that I mentioned before. For this project, as soon as I introduce the L1 limiter the output in Compressor sounds wonky. The strange thing is that even if I disable the L1 limiter by unchecking the blue box, the problem persists. The problem goes away completely if I delete the L1 Limiter from my Audio Effects list.

I also tried using AUPeakLimiter as a replacement and got the same bad results. For this project I might be able to tolerate it without limiting or I might process it externally. I could also Share out of FCP X instead of using Compressor. But I bought Compressor yesterday just so I could run big batches. It's very convenient. I like it a lot.

Mar 28, 2016 5:03 AM in response to Dan Shimmyo

In my previous post I thought I had found a fix because the audio sounded good in Compressor. I was testing the audio by playing it in Compressor before starting the batch. But ultimately in the final render the audio was still reduced in quality. I did finally fix it though.

My fix involved reducing the number of nested clips. The project that was producing poor quality audio in Compressor consisted of a single compound clip and some titles and end credits. Even without the L1 Limiter the final output from Compressor sounded bad. But I noticed that the nested compound clip, when rendered in Compressor, sounded fine, even with L1 Limiters applied to the audio clips. So I copied and pasted the contents of the nested clip into a new project and added the titles and end credits there. This fixed the problem completely and the final render is identical to my original project.

All of my projects in this Library file have similar setups. I've imported the audio and video sources into my library file and then selected the clips and created a multicam clip. I then bring the multicam clip into a compound clip where I do all of my multicam camera switching. This is also where I attached 2 audio clips from different sources (room mic and sound from the mixing board) to blend them together. Then I bring that clip into my project where I can do some final edits and add titles and credits. But in the case of my work-around I have removed the last level of nesting so the final project now consists of a multicam clip with 2 audio clips attached, titles, end credits and to top it off I applied the L1 limiter to both audio clips.

My problem is solved with this workaround. If I can find a way to repeat the same issue with different data, I'll be sure to mention it.

poor audio quality output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.