Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to lock screen while on a call

I have an iPhone 5c with iOS 9 and extensively searched the community posts for the following problem: each time I'm in a call, by touching the screen with my face I keep putting the call on hold, or more frequently activate the speaker, or even call other numbers. This is really annoying.

I could not find anything useful in the official section; only some posts discussing the problem and proposing funny workarounds with instantly-locking passwords. I don't think these are solutions worth considering.

The strange thing is that a somewhat different problem is also reported, i.e., screen not locking ANY MORE when in a call.
Therefore, there seem to be a basic screen-lock feature somewhere, of which I am not aware.

Could someone please tell me the full story? And in case there is NOT an option nor a single-button action which would do the job, is there possibly an app for this?

Many thanks

iPhone 5c

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:50 AM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2015 8:37 AM in response to pozkad

The iPhone has a proximity sensor that is supposed to automatically detect when you are putting the screen to your ear. It turns the screen off and prevents your ear from activating any buttons. As you remove the phone from your ear it also detects that and turns the screen back on. If that is not happening you may have a defective proximity sensor. There is no option or setting to do anything with the proximity sensor.

How to lock screen while on a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.