Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact search slow ios9

Has anyone else have this issue? When I start to type a name in my contacts, the result appear very slowly.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 6:28 AM

I had an issue where the contacts search was taking forever on Iphone 6!

Fixed it by:

- Setting

- Contacts

- Contacts found in Apps - SHOULD BE OFF!

Hope it helps..

10 replies

Sep 11, 2017 1:25 PM in response to Norbythommo

I have the same issue on both iPhone and iPad.

I discovered when I do the search using Spotlight (swiping right on home page and using the "Search" field on the top), then the contact (and all other apps like Mail) shows up without any lag.

Doing the search in the native "Contacts" app still takes forever.

I don't have Outlook, so don't have a way to delete notes (as also suggested). Regardless, keeping the notes is important to me. So, this is an easy to use alternative.

Oct 6, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Norbythommo

The Force restart did not work for me for the slow email search in ios 9. I posted this elsewhere for those still having that problem:

Well I no longer have the problem with the slow mail searches. All I did was do a Restore and then an Update from Backup. (make sure you do a backup if you don't have a recent one so you don't lose any of your mail settings, apps etc). It will automatically install the latest ios version.

Now all my searches bring up results within 5 seconds like they used to. Here is a link:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201252

I can only assume something got messed up on my initial upgrade to ios 9 and it had to be redone.

Sep 20, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Norbythommo

Today after reading David's fix, I went to my Outlook Contacts where I changed to "List" view.

Then I went to "View Settings" and chose "Columns" where I selected "All Contact Fields" and added "Size" to the columns.

Then I sorted the contacts by the “Size” column.

I deleted the notes from about 4 of the larger files and instantly my contacts search works like it did when the phone was new.

Now I wish I could recover the 2600+ contacts I deleted a few weeks ago while attempting to fix this problem.

Contact search slow ios9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.