Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Column & Row line widths

In Numbers 3.0 is there a means to have a dark or heavier line every (5) lines for both the columns across and rows down?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:30 AM

26 replies

Oct 8, 2015 2:39 AM in response to dtryon9980

Hi dtryon,

No automatic way that I know of. Follow quinn's advice using Format Panel > Cell > Border > Outline.

Maybe a quick way (only need to do this once, then Save as Template for future use).

Start with a table that is bigger than you need.

Select a 5 by 5 block of cells, from A1 to E5

User uploaded file

Format Panel > Cell > Border > Outline.

User uploaded file

To get this:

User uploaded file

With that 5 by 5 block of cells still selected,

Menu > Edit > Copy (command c).

Click in cell A6 and Paste (command v).

User uploaded file

Now select the 10 by 5 block, Copy and Paste. Repeat for as many rows as you want.

Select the 5 columns and Paste to the right from cell F1.

User uploaded file

Repeat for as many columns as you want.

Save as Template

To paste data into the template, Select data from a source table, Copy, click in cell A1 of the 5 by 5 table and Menu > Edit > Paste and Match Style

User uploaded file

Delete unneeded rows and columns.

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 8, 2015 5:03 AM in response to dtryon9980

Hi dtryon

Why isn't the reply from Yellow Box that I received an email notification on visible here in this discussion. There isn't a way to reply to him.

That is a recent glitch in the forum software: email notifications arriving before a reply appears in this forum.

That is, "Phantom Replies" not showing until you reply.

I can see your reply now.

My reply about Copy then Paste and Match Style was to allow you to paste existing data into a pre-formatted table (template). Data will paste and will not overwrite the pre-set cell borders of the 5 by 5 cell template.

It will help other Numbers users if you reply with why you need:

dark or heavier line every (5) lines for both the columns across and rows down

it seems like Apple could come up with something easy on this desire.

Don't blame Apple.This is a user-to-user forum. Apple is not here and Apple doesn't know why you need blocks of 5 by 5 cells with heavier cell borders.

More information will lead to a solution 🙂.

Regards,

Ian

Oct 8, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Yellowbox

I have been having the same problem with the forum. Even my own replies don't show up sometimes. Sometimes I see the previous replies after I make a reply. Sometimes if I log out and refresh the page it will show all the replies but when I log back in again they are gone again. At first I thought I was going crazy. I'd reply to a post with no replies and then all (or more of) the previous replies would show up. I kept thinking "how did I miss those"?

Oct 8, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Badunit

Badunit wrote:

At first I thought I was going crazy. I'd reply to a post with no replies and then all (or more of) the previous replies would show up. I kept thinking "how did I miss those"?

Yes, embarrassing ... especially for Apple. Don't like to complain .... but they just can't seem to get their act together on these forums.😟

SG

Oct 8, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Yellowbox

After having gone thru the steps you outlined earlier would I be able to enter data into the template directly or would it have to be a cut and paste situation?

The reason I want this situation is for no other reason than to break up a schedule that has multiple weeks across the top by the month and a list of 40 people or so going down in the "A" column. I want dark lines every five names down and every month across the top. The row lines and column lines in between would be either a grayed line or a lighter weight line.

Does this make sense? Would you have another way of creating that look?

By the way I do realize this is a user/volunteer forum but I am certain that Apple must follow it. By saying that Apple should have a better way of creating different looks just kind of makes sense to me.

Thanks for your help

Column & Row line widths

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.