Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X won't let me save to my external hard drive.

I have been using Final Cut Pro X for 2 years. I use an external hard drive to save my projects and events. I recently bought a new Mac Book Pro and downloaded the newest version of Final Cut. Now my external hard drive shows up in the import window but it is not an option when I try to move my projects and events. The only option that comes up is move to trash. Also the drive does not show up in the list of events/projects. My external hard drive is a G-Drive mini. My name is under "Sharing & Permissions" and it says "read and write". It is formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Any idea how I can save my projects/events to this hard drive? Thanks!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:48 AM

Projects and events need to be in libraries. If you want a library to be on your drive, either: 1) create a new library from the File menu and save it to drive. Then move the event with the project to that library; or 2) in the Finder, copy the library that contains the projects and events you want moved to your new drive.

Russ

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 8:48 AM in response to talia59

Projects and events need to be in libraries. If you want a library to be on your drive, either: 1) create a new library from the File menu and save it to drive. Then move the event with the project to that library; or 2) in the Finder, copy the library that contains the projects and events you want moved to your new drive.

Russ

Oct 6, 2015 8:47 AM in response to talia59

Since version 10.1, FCP X uses libraries to store events and projects. If you were using older versions (10.0.*) of FCP X, there was a significant change.

You create libraries, which are FCP X's "documents". They can be stored anywhere. Libraries contain events, and events can contain clips *and* projects.

To use older projects and events, you need to "update". You do this from inside FCP X, by going to File->Update Projects and Events, and selecting the DRIVE where they are (they need to be in the old standard locations, in folders "Final Cut Projects" and "Final Cut Events" at the root of the hard drive or in the user Movies folder).

Before you proceed, read about the library model, for example

here: http://www.fcpxbook.com/

and here: Update and work with Final Cut Pro X libraries FAQ - Apple Support

Don't worry. It is a great improvement over the old scheme. Totally worth it.

Oct 6, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Russ H

Ok so this looks to have worked except I'm still a little confused. I moved an event/project to the new library. But what if I want to import that project into Final Cut on my other computer? I was able to find all of the video clips but not the final project. Also just so I understand it...why is it not an option to move the event/project to the G-drive like it was on my other computer using the older version of Final Cut Pro X. All I had to do then was plug in my drive and click move to G-drive. Thank you so much for your help with this!!!

Oct 6, 2015 8:51 AM in response to talia59

Projects and Events live in Libraries.

Libraries are like documents in most applications. If you want to use on a different computer, just bring the library along.

You may, for example, store the library on an external drive, eject from one computer, attach to another and continue working on it.

You just have to adjust to the new way of thinking, based on libraries. Soon it will feel quite natural.

Final Cut Pro X won't let me save to my external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.