Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I be sure the caching service is working as intended?

How can I tell if the caching service is working as intended? I want to avoid download bandwidth use when updating multiple iMacs. I have tested with iOS apps but cannot tell if the devices used the cache or downloaded over the air.

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:59 AM

6 replies

May 22, 2017 11:57 PM in response to SantafeNM

Download the scripts from this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8vrrd2jhzckezde/AAB3Cg2RIjYoIxnnLmnRfHqta?dl=0

1. Copy the bash script files with the python script to /Users/USERNAME/Documents/Cacher firectory on your mac osx server. Share that folder so the Powershell can access it remotely from a Windows PC.

2. Copy the Powershell scripts and the plink.exe file to C:\Temp\CSV folder.

The bash scripts will create a number of CSV files with cache stats when executed. Powershell will read through these csv files to calculate stats as required.

Study the scripts and replace variables to your server names and IP addresses as required.

User uploaded file

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Sahan

Oct 12, 2017 3:08 PM in response to SantafeNM

I know it's been a few years but it took me a while to work out the simple answer to your question and thought I will add the results of my search...

Look in the /Library/Server/Caching/Logs folder

If there is a LastState.plist (hopefully dated today) open it up and have a look for:

• TotalBytesRequested indicates how much data has been requested from clients (so 0 means no one is asking)
  • TotalBytesReturned indicatess how much data has been returned to clients (0 means nothing is returned even if clients are asking)

You can also run the command:

sudo serveradmin fullstatus caching

and look for the same lines.

Oct 6, 2015 8:43 PM in response to SantafeNM

If you want more details, you can add client identity to the log file with this command:

sudo serveradmin settings caching:LogClientIdentity = true

Or you can

sudo serveradmin fullstatus caching

You can track stats there.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author Mavericks Server and Yosemite Server series, also available in Apple's iBooks Store

Nov 19, 2015 12:29 AM in response to Strontium90

I think the Debug.log is the most useful information you can have for the Caching Services:

tail -f /Library/Server/Caching/Logs/Debug.log

For me that log was written out of the box, but you might need to increase LogLevel according to

https://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/5.0/index.html?localePath=en.lproj#/apd5E1A D52E-012B-4A41-8F21-8E9EDA56583A

in order for it to work.

How can I be sure the caching service is working as intended?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.