Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image mask changes png size

i have created a simple square shape png file and when i play a video mask on the shape it is bigger the the png file i made. if i just put the png file on the time line the size is correct but then i add that png to a video mask and the mask is bigger i need this to be accurate to the png as it for a projector mapping and the square shape i created is the size of the mapping i created as used the file as tiff and done the same cheer using final cut pro x

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:17 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

i have designed a shape and saved this as a png file then imported it into fcp. then added this png to the time line aka the white box in pic but when i add the png to a video file on the time line as a image mask and play it the png shape is bigger as you can see in the pic both the squares should be the same size as i need to play the video in the the shape i design. so for e.g say i draw a shape and save this as a png file i need to play video in that shape but to the exact size and position as i set the draw and fcp sreen res the same cheers

Oct 6, 2015 9:27 AM in response to dazh55555

There are a few scaling operations that are taking place and that you were not expecting to happen.

When you add an image mask to a clip, FCP X scales the image to match the dimensions of the clip.

So the image can change its size, and even its aspect ratio. This appears to be the way it is designed.

In order to make things more predictable, you should probably prepare your image to match the size of the clip you are applying it to as a mask. This way you will get exactly what you expected.

image mask changes png size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.