Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan update kernel panic

Hello everybody,

I was trying to update my Mid-12 Macbook Pro from Yosemite to El Capitan.

After the first restart, I got those error message(s) you can see in the attachment.

I've tried to recover with Cmd+R options but I had no Time Machine backup at that moment, I just repaired the SSD from Disk Utilities screen and it cleared the El Capitan installation boot. So I got the Yosemite back.

I've searched for reason and solutions of this kernel panic issue and one suggestion was to format the drive and do a clean installation from a El Capitan bootable USB. Even after I tried that solution, I got the same errors.

During one of the "repair", my SSD started to give "can't unmount" error and it took my all day to figure out how to format a drive while it's unmounting. So there was one "force unmount" command solution helped me to format the drive.

One of my two USB port was blocked because of a wrong iPhone charging cable couple months ago. And since then I couldn't fix it by the all methods that I can find around the forums. It could be the reason why I'm getting this IOUSBHostFamily and AppleUSBXHCIPCI kernel panics.

I appreciate your ideas about the solution about how to update to El Capitan over all of this.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:59 AM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:18 AM in response to onrks

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Nov 13, 2015 6:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

And what do you do if you don't have warranty anymore but your macbook pro is acting up after el capitan update? I am having wifi issues which i've posted about with no help this far and kernel error randomly now 3 times, after which it doesn't come back and my computer works fine. Someone please guide me to an HR side of this company where poor people like me can have a real chance at getting their computer(SOFTWARE) fixed. Not my fault Apple is not willing to announce their mistakes before they figure out how to or what they even are!

El Capitan update kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.