Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet very slow but wifi works with no issue

Been trying to troubleshoot this issue that I noticed yesterday evening. Seems my ethernet connection to my mid 2012 macbook pro has slowed to a crawl where pages either resolve or not at all. Wifi works completely fine with no issue at all. Network Diagnostics say the ethernet connection is fine and when I run the Network utility, I have little to 0% packet loss for wifi and around 40% packet loss for the ethernet connection. Trace route for wifi flies by with no issue but for ethernet it is very slow for multiple website tests.

I also made sure network settings>service order was in order of connection typical to my set up wifi, ethernet. I even tried setting up a new location and no success. I am using open DNS and no complex LAN set up. DNS seems to check out for both wifi and ethernet.

All other computers work with NO issue utilizing the ethernet cable or wifi so it is not the cable or the modem as far as I can tell

Am I missing something here? Could it be that the ethernet port is not functioning correctly? Would AHT diagnose an ethernet port?

If anyone has any advice or can help, I really appreciate it! Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2015 1:33 PM in response to howarduns

I tried different ethernet cable and I also connected to a different port on the router to no effect. Today I called my ISP to see if there was any issue with my router/modem or service. They went through a series of troubleshoting diagnostic tests over the phone and found no issues!

After the phone call however, I tried the ethernet cable again and now IT WORKS! Go figure :/

Do you think they could've reset or refreshed something on their end that resolved the issue???

Ethernet very slow but wifi works with no issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.