Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to my scanner El Capitan?

Thanks Apple! After I upgraded to El Capitan I went to use my scanner and behold I can't see it anymore. I have an Epson perfection 2450 Photo scanner which I use for scanning and faxing. So at the present I no longer have a scanner or a fax, thanks Apple! I went to the Epson website to re-install the driver, that didn't work. Then I removed it from Printers and scanners in System Preferences and tried to add it but now my network does't even see it anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:06 AM

I just got off the phone with Epson. They suggested I change my connection to USB. That worked so I'm guessing the 2 Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptors I purchased are not being supported along with Firewire anymore. Great job Apple! I really miss Steve Jobs more and more especially as things get worse with Apple.

I'm sure Apple will delete this post.

106 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Rod LoScalzo

I just got off the phone with Epson. They suggested I change my connection to USB. That worked so I'm guessing the 2 Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptors I purchased are not being supported along with Firewire anymore. Great job Apple! I really miss Steve Jobs more and more especially as things get worse with Apple.

I'm sure Apple will delete this post.

Oct 10, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Rod LoScalzo

A possible explanation is that the kext (Epson's?) that the firewire connection uses is failing because of the system integrity (rootless) issue. You could turn off system integrity if you need to use firewire. The real solution, if it is Epson's kext, is for them to release updated drivers - but that doesn't seem likely for a discontinued model.

Oct 11, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Rod LoScalzo

This is similar to the sandbox issue that was seen with the release of Yosemite. The OS changes, and the vendors are slow in releasing their drivers. Updating the OS comes with risks, Apple's going to make changes; that it worked before and doesn't work now doesn't indict Apple, especially when these are security changes meant for the user's safety. Rootless can be turned off until vendors catch up.

Oct 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to John Blanchard1

This involves peripherals and knowing the new macs don't even have CD/DVD drives anymore connections in updating an OS would should be a priority.When Apple stops supporting firewire but sells adaptors, which aren't cheap, they should at least support the adaptive connectors. In my case I not only lost my scanner I also lost my fax. I don't really have time to wait for a fix. If you're dependent on certain peripherals you just don't blow it off till Apple comes up with a fix. JMHO!

Oct 21, 2015 7:50 AM in response to scottfromyateley

And still Apple has not fixed this. Thanks to all responsible for making these devices to accept USB and Firewire connectivity.

Anybody know what I can do with the 2 APPLE Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptors I purchased? LOL They cost over $30 apiece! Thanks once again APPLE!

Another Question: How Long Can You Go without Your Scanner, Printer or Fax?

Oct 21, 2015 11:27 AM in response to scottfromyateley

Hi,

I have the same scanner Epson V700 and a 2009 MacBook Pro - but still doesn't work. Always used USB without a problem.

My studio mate has a iMac running El Capitan too and it seems to work fine... but I'm stuck here with 35 rolls of film I need to scan :/

Have reinstalled all drivers, even tried using SilverFast and VueScan, but the scanner is simply not detected. It appears on "Printers & Scanners" but when trying to open the scanner it doesn't show anything.

Hurry up Apple...

Oct 22, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Rod LoScalzo

Thanks Rod

I spent an hour and a half (during a 'crunch' time) puzzling

over why the Epson 2450 scanner was suddenly not recognized by Image Capture !

( It had disappeared immediately after installing OS 10.11 ).

Thanks for passing on Epson's tip about using the USB port instead. It works fine again.

Is 400/800 Firewire dead, now ????

Stephen

(Boston)

Oct 22, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Rod LoScalzo

I tried to use my Epson Perfection V600 scanner with El Capitan, connected with a USB 2 cable. The OS does not recognize the scanner. I tried a different cable with the same results. I spent a hour on the phone with Epson support, and they finally came to the conclusion that it was Apple's fault. I asked about a new driver to work with El Capitan and they assured me that they were working on it and would have something by the end of the year! I guess I should put my scanner away for 2 months.

"Upgrading" to El Capitan was the worst decision I made all year. (The upgrade also lost almost all of my

Apple Mail inbox). I am appalled at Apple's lack of responsibility or concern for the problems they have created with this bug-filled product, and I am not very pleased with Epson either.

What happened to my scanner El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.