Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Time Capsule with broken WiFi into simple NAS using Airport Extreme

My 2y4m old Time Capsule (flat kind) developed increasingly flaky WiFi. Started taking a very long time post restart to reestablish connection to my network; it was joining (Extending now, join no longer supported) a newish AirPort extreme. Finally it stopped connecting altogether.

It took me a few hours, but I realized I could turn off WiFi, set it in bridge mode, and hang it off my AirPort Extreme. To all my home Macs nothing has changed -- Time Machine backups work same, the external share I have on it work the same, etc.

I'm replacing the Time Capsule with a 2 bay Synology DS215j and two 4TB WD Reds. I've really never been terribly happy with it -- in particular restores of a my 2TB backup were excruciatingly slow over ethernet (actually, single file restore didn't work at all unless I restarted everything and ensured all Mac and TC resources were dedicated to the restore). It had also run out of storage.

Until the Synology is in place, however, my secondary backup is working. (I use Carbon Copy Cloner for rotating offsite primary backups.)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:57 PM

It is fairly unusual for the wireless to give out.

If there is anything important on the TC I would make sure you copy it off now.. as failure of the whole unit is not far behind.

At 2y and 4m if you have any applecare on a computer or apple tv it is still covered and apple will replace it.. but you are too late to buy something now..

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 6:57 PM in response to jfaughnan

It is fairly unusual for the wireless to give out.

If there is anything important on the TC I would make sure you copy it off now.. as failure of the whole unit is not far behind.

At 2y and 4m if you have any applecare on a computer or apple tv it is still covered and apple will replace it.. but you are too late to buy something now..

Convert Time Capsule with broken WiFi into simple NAS using Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.