Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the new Apple Music app and iTunes Match SO messed up?

I hate... HATE the new iTunes, and the Apple Music app on my iOS devices. EVERYTHING is geared towards making you subscribe to Apple Music. I have a substantial music library, and trying to get access to it is just a pain in the rear. I pay for iTunes Match, but now we have to find it buried in the preferences? Seriously... I have always admired Apple's "simple and clean" approach to both hardware and software, but this new direction for iTunes and the Music app are the worst thing I have seen come out of Cupertino in a LONG time.

Is there a way to COMPLETELY turn off all the Apple Music, and just have a simple music player again? Seriously frustrated here...

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:18 AM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2015 8:28 AM in response to stevecloud75

Steve, if you follow RTW's advice and turn off Apple Music at Settings>Music>Show Apple Music, then instead of the Apple Music screen with BeatsOne and the like, you will see a listing of the installed music on your device arranged according to your settings (listing by artist, album, etc.). I do not use iTunes Match but I can stream songs to my iPhone from my MacPro's iTunes via Home Sharing.

Gina

Oct 9, 2015 6:32 PM in response to stevecloud75

iTunes Match, as I understand it, was supposed to take all of your songs, match them if they are in the iTunes Store library, and if it wasn't in the library upload your song to download or stream on your other Apple devices. Also, if your song was not in 256 Bit Rate and it was matched in the iTunes Library then it would automatically be upgraded to 256 Bit Rate. I paid for a full year of iTunes Match and I cannot see it anywhere in iTunes and if I delete a song on my Macbook and then re-download it, it does not upgrade the song to 256. I am EXTREMELY frustrated with how Apple Music was introduced and how it essentially devastated my personal iTunes song library. It has taken hours to get it back to usable format, not to mention having to completely re-connect it with my Apple TV. I completely share stevecloud75's frustration. We paid for this service and Apple Music just makes everything more difficult if you do not want it...

Oct 9, 2015 9:55 PM in response to mikenyny

Yes, I know how to turn off the actual paid "Apple Music" service, but I wish there was a way to move things around, like before. You used to be able to move icons around (on your phone, tablet) and even get rid of the Apple Radio nonsense. All I want is a simple music player again. Quick access to all my music, whether stored on the device, or in the cloud... I should be able to get to things quickly. This new iTunes/Music app is just not user friendly. Plus, I used to be able to move things off of my youngest daughter's music app so that she wouldn't have access to it. Now, no such capabilities. Not cool.

Why is the new Apple Music app and iTunes Match SO messed up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.