Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove photos from iphone once they are on icloud

Hello. I have icloud for photos and all photos are on there but my iphone 5 (I should have bought one with bigger memory) still reports 3.5GB of photos on it so I keep getting close to using all of the iphone storage, but I can't find them on the iphone to delete them. Any idea how to get rid of them without losing the photos from icloud? Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:00 AM

Any idea how to get rid of them without losing the photos from icloud?

You can't. Any photo you delete from your iPhone will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library as well and from any other device that is signed into iCloud Photo Library. See: iCloud Photo Library FAQ

iCloud Photo Library is meant to be the central storage and to update all changes across all devices. To save space on your iPhone enable "Optimize Storage". This way only smaller, optimized versions of your photos will restored on the iPhone. But do delete only photos you want to delete completely from all devices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 11:00 AM in response to nellyhelly

Any idea how to get rid of them without losing the photos from icloud?

You can't. Any photo you delete from your iPhone will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library as well and from any other device that is signed into iCloud Photo Library. See: iCloud Photo Library FAQ

iCloud Photo Library is meant to be the central storage and to update all changes across all devices. To save space on your iPhone enable "Optimize Storage". This way only smaller, optimized versions of your photos will restored on the iPhone. But do delete only photos you want to delete completely from all devices.

Apr 6, 2016 6:50 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Leónie, that is a great idea. But it is still a workaround and I hope that Apple will make changes so that the iCloud Photo Library acts like, well, a library. That is what I thought I was paying for. Now that I understand it is only a temporary repository for photos so that they can be synced across all my devices I may have to go back to the Dropbox solution I had been using. Not as elegant for syncing across devices but much better at being the main library where I keep all my photos safe. And it does not force me to purchase an iPhone with more storage than I need. This is not a nasty comment about Apple, my favorite company and shaper of society during my lifetime, just a comment that I hope may help progress in the fast moving needs of people using cloud storage and instant syncing.

Apr 6, 2016 11:48 AM in response to David R

And it does not force me to purchase an iPhone with more storage than I need.

The idea is to use the "Optimize Storage" option on your iPhone. Keep all photos in iCloud and on your iPhone, but let "optimize storage" reduce the size of the photos on your iPhone. You can browse the photos based on the smaller versions, but if you want to share them or edit them you need an internet connection to download them from iCloud.

how to remove photos from iphone once they are on icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.