Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

I have a late 2007 Imac with 4Gb RAM and had no problems until I updated to Mavericks when it became pretty much useless. Just recently I gave up on it and put the whole thing back to Snow Leopard and hey presto perfection again. However the recent update to OIS 9.0.2 has broken the IPAD / Itunes link (i had to update the Ipad as it was also broken after an update to IOS 8) so I am going to upgrade as far as Mountain Lion and try it from there, I seem to remember it went well enough on ML.

Question?

Is it true that El Capitan Runs much better than Mavericks and Yosemite, and does anyone know how it runs on old machines like mine?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 9:27 AM

I have an early 2008 iMac and run ElCapitan with no problems. I have upgraded my RAM to 6GB with RAM purchased from Otherworld Computing.

Other World Computing

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Nantglyn

I have an early 2008 iMac and run ElCapitan with no problems. I have upgraded my RAM to 6GB with RAM purchased from Otherworld Computing.

Other World Computing

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

Update from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.