Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Bluetooth: not available" after El Capitan upgrade

I am seeing a frustrating "Bluetooth: not available" issue after upgrading to El Capitan last week. Specifically, after reboot the Bluetooth works, but from sleep it appears that the issue occurs and cannot recover until another reboot. The Bluetooth icon will have a wavy line noting the issue when waking from sleep. Before the upgrade there were no issues with the Bluetooth, but it appears that there is something that caused this on the upgrade.

Reading up on the issue, others have noted that removing the "com.apple.Bluetooth.plist" file in "

/Library/Preferences/" then rebooting will solve the issue, but unfortunately this does not in fact work with El Capitan (or does not work in this case).

User uploaded file

Suggestions (if anyone knows) on how to solve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:18 PM

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

9 replies

Nov 14, 2015 7:32 PM in response to msc03

Turning off the "view in menu" function restored the availability, but functionality of my outboard trackpad remained limited, which was the reason I discovered that my Bluetooth was unavailable. I still can't turn Bluetooth off and on again. So it looks like a restart is my only option.

Anyone else have a better patch for this?

Nov 30, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Infinitude

I had the same problems (along with WiFi issues). Found this article addressing the bluetooth component of the issues: http://www.igeeksblog.com/fix-bluetooth-not-available-error-mac/

This appears to have solved the Bluetooth unavailable problem and stems from a bad preferences file. I tested it over night by allowing the MacBook Pro to sleep. When I woke it and logged in bluetooth was available and functioning normally.

This is the thread I started detailing the WiFi and Bluetooth issues I had been experiencing: Ongoing Wifi / Bluetooth issues after OS X El Capitan install

Dec 17, 2015 9:55 AM in response to RavenMac

I have been having this issue.. I have reset the NVRAM/SMC/

even tried this..

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

Response:

(kernel) Can't unload kext com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport; classes have instances:

(kernel) Kext com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport class BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport has 1 instance.

Failed to unload com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).

sudo killall -u (profile) cfprefsd

The killer part is, I can load my Bootcamp Windows side, and BT works flawlessly in windows 10... isn't that just funny.

"Bluetooth: not available" after El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.