Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 won't update to iOS 8.4

I am trying to update my iPad 2 to iOS 8.4 from iOS 5.1 based on the recommended update from the settings within iOS 5.1 on my iPad 2 directly. My iPad 2 had always been working great for me with the apps I’m using, so I’ve been reluctant to update (and possibly ruin a great thing). However, now that I’m getting the new iPhone with iOS 9 already installed, I thought I would update my iPad 2 as well so that the apps would all be of similar version for both devices. I didn’t want to have compatibility issues as I went back and forth between iDevices to handle my projects. I know that I could use iTunes to update my iPad, but iTunes is forcing an iOS 9 update, which I understand is giving some who use an iPad 2 a very hard time.

When I started the update everything seemed fine until the update was near completion. Now, it appears the update never completed. The apple symbol appears with a “progress line” beneath it every time I open the “smart cover” and even after it eventually allows me to input a 4 –digit passcode, the apple symbol with progress line will reappear. After a few cycles of this, I get to the home screen where I can use my iPad for about 3 – 5 minutes before the apple symbol and progress line reappear. Please note that the progress line never gets pass half way before either allowing me to get to the home screen or repeating itself. Sorry for the long-winded explanation. Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 8.4, Updating to iOS 8.4

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:12 AM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 10:19 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your reply. I am updating to iOS 8.4 from iOS 5.1 directly from my iPad 2. Under settings/general, the software update tab indicated that I could update my iPad to iOS 8.4 (even though iOS 9+ has obviously been available for a while). I'm guessing that b/c I was using iOS 5.1, maybe it didn't recognize the iOS 9+ update as being available. Anyway, since updating to iOS 8.4, I'm very frequently (90% of the time) getting the Apple logo with a progress bar that starts at the beginning, goes about 1/2 way, then stops. Sometimes this loop just keeps repeating itself, but occasionally it finally opens up to the home screen. I'm able to work for about 5 minutes, then the logo will reappear and the cycle repeats itself. Interestingly, Safari also is now running extremely slow - as if I was using a dial-up internet connection from the 1990's. Many of my apps are not working properly - I'm not completely surprised, especially b/c of the dramatic iOS difference - I'm sure that there are compatibility issues here.

This is what I've tried since my initial post:

Completely reset/erased everything. Then I soft and hard reset the iPad a couple of times. Then I set my iPad 2 up as a new configuration without connecting to iTunes, my Apple ID, iCloud, wi-fi, etc. I did not restore the system at all from backup. I just started using it as if it was just "out of the box." iOS 8.4 is recognized as the OS by the iPad. All the apps that come with iOS 8.4 seem to be working well. The only exception so far is Safari, which occasionally continues to load pages extremely slowly (this may be b/c I immediately set up the iPad for max security and am not allowing it to pre-load pages, etc.).

After playing around with my iPad 2 in this configuration for an hour, I found no problems with the iPad - no more Apple logo/progress bar cycles. This morning, I restored my iPad 2 using iTunes and a reliable backup and...Apple logo and progress bar problems reappear. At this point, I'm a conflict with iOS 8.4 and one of my old apps must be creating this experience for me. I'm planning on doing the reset/erase/hard and soft reset again and installing iPad w/o any iTunes/wi-fi connection. I'll be sure that the Apple logo/progress bar issue is not present, then I'll connect to iTunes and set my iPad 2 up as a new configuration. I'll then update my apps and one at a time install them (based on my need for them) and see if the problem re-occurs and if so, with which app(s).

I just wish there was a way to go back to iOS 5.1 for my iPad 2, because this is taking a tremendous amount of time - major disruption of productivity.

Oct 7, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Rockstady911

I appreciate the comment, and understand that is supposed to be the case, but my iPad 2 software update only initially allowed for an iOS 8.4 upgrade directly through the "software update" button. Interestingly, before I attempted any updates, when I connected my iPad to iTunes, iTunes was offering an iOS 9.02 upgrade to this same iPad. There is clearly a glitch somewhere and maybe that is also what is creating this Apple Logo/Progress Bar loop problem for me. But in any case, I was running iOS 5.1 and am now running a somewhat unstable version of iOS 8.4.1 on my iPad 2. At least that is what the "about" screen on my iPad and iTunes show.

iPad 2 won't update to iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.