Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 after El Capitan

For the first time after a successful El Capitan upgrade on my 2012 iMac, I loaded new photos yesterday into iPhoto (9.6.1) and the photos appeared in my iPhoto library normally as the "Last Import." However, the next day, I find that these photos are no longer showing in my iPhoto Library and that the "Event" for yesterday's date is an empty folder in iPhoto. The pictures were automatically uploaded to iCloud and are available in the Photos program, but when I attempt to retrieve them through iPhoto's connection to iCloud for editing in iPhoto, the photo cannot be retrieved by iPhoto for editing. When I select a shared photo from iCloud for editing in iPhoto, I receive a message asking whether I wish to show the photo in my Library since I must use the version already imported in my iPhoto Library. I select "Show In Library" to continue (since the photo does not appear anywhere in my iPhoto Library that I have been able to find), but instead of presenting the selected photo, the first photo in my Library appears instead. Since I am used to iPhoto, I had hoped to continue using it, but may be forced to migrate to iCloud and the new Photos App. At this point, I am confused about several things. First, can I edit the pictures uploaded to iCloud yesterday in iPhoto, or can I now edit them only through the Photos App? Second, is it desirable to migrate everything to the Photos App? Or does one lose the ability to use external editors like Light Room, Capture One, PhotoShop, etc when one commits to the Photos App? Third, there appears to be an option to "Turn Off iCloud" which seems to offer to download the Photos items previously uploaded. Will this procedure restore my Library to my iMac drive in an orderly fashion and permit me to continue using iPhoto as I have over the years?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:48 AM

I'm confused. iPhoto has no connection to the iCLoud Photo Library. There is on way to upload from iPhoto it to that location nor from there to iPhoto.

So, if the image are in iCloud Photo Library you must have imported them through Photos.

First, can I edit the pictures uploaded to iCloud yesterday in iPhoto, or can I now edit them only through the Photos App?

If you want to use iPhoto then you will need to export them from Photos and then import them to iPhoto. There is no connection between the apps.

Second, is it desirable to migrate everything to the Photos App

That's a decision only you can make for yourself. I would point out that iPhoto is no longer developed.

Or does one lose the ability to use external editors like Light Room, Capture One, PhotoShop, etc when one commits to the Photos App?

Photos uses a different system for interacting with external applications. These are extensions that require two things: 1. The app must be sold on the Mac App Store and 2. The developer needs to write a hook for their app to allow it to be so used. There are currently four such apps on the App Store at this time.

In the specific cases of both Lightroom and Capture One: Neither of these are editors, but like iPhoto and Photos are Photo Managers with non-destructive processing. At heart all of them are databases. There is no sensible workflow that uses any combination of these apps together. Any attempt to do so will result in versions of the photos unavailable in other apps and significant duplication. Best advice: pick one horse and ride it. If you already own LR or CO, then as both are professional applications it is hard to see a use for either iPhoto or Photos. Even then, you need to pick between those two to have a sensible workflow.

Third, there appears to be an option to "Turn Off iCloud" which seems to offer to download the Photos items previously uploaded. Will this procedure restore my Library to my iMac drive in an orderly fashion and permit me to continue using iPhoto as I have over the years?

No as iPhoto has no connection with this Library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Dean Moriarity

I'm confused. iPhoto has no connection to the iCLoud Photo Library. There is on way to upload from iPhoto it to that location nor from there to iPhoto.

So, if the image are in iCloud Photo Library you must have imported them through Photos.

First, can I edit the pictures uploaded to iCloud yesterday in iPhoto, or can I now edit them only through the Photos App?

If you want to use iPhoto then you will need to export them from Photos and then import them to iPhoto. There is no connection between the apps.

Second, is it desirable to migrate everything to the Photos App

That's a decision only you can make for yourself. I would point out that iPhoto is no longer developed.

Or does one lose the ability to use external editors like Light Room, Capture One, PhotoShop, etc when one commits to the Photos App?

Photos uses a different system for interacting with external applications. These are extensions that require two things: 1. The app must be sold on the Mac App Store and 2. The developer needs to write a hook for their app to allow it to be so used. There are currently four such apps on the App Store at this time.

In the specific cases of both Lightroom and Capture One: Neither of these are editors, but like iPhoto and Photos are Photo Managers with non-destructive processing. At heart all of them are databases. There is no sensible workflow that uses any combination of these apps together. Any attempt to do so will result in versions of the photos unavailable in other apps and significant duplication. Best advice: pick one horse and ride it. If you already own LR or CO, then as both are professional applications it is hard to see a use for either iPhoto or Photos. Even then, you need to pick between those two to have a sensible workflow.

Third, there appears to be an option to "Turn Off iCloud" which seems to offer to download the Photos items previously uploaded. Will this procedure restore my Library to my iMac drive in an orderly fashion and permit me to continue using iPhoto as I have over the years?

No as iPhoto has no connection with this Library.

Oct 6, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you, Terrence. Your answer was much better informed than my question. I will need to re-read your answer to fully digest its content.

It does appear to me that iPhoto and iCloud have a connection since the iPhoto Preferences includes an iCloud Tab for sending photos automatically to the PhotoStream. There is also a Shared Items/iCloud link in the iPhoto sidebar which allows me to see my photos loaded yesterday, but not to edit them in iPhoto since they don't seem to be present in my iPhoto Library. Having experimented with loading individual pictures today, I now see that the Photos App opens automatically when an SD card is loaded into the iMac, so I probably loaded the new photos to the Photos App and not to iPhoto as I had intended. Because, I am inexperienced with iCloud and the new Photos App, I'll pursue further experiments to clarify my loading procedures, but thank you sincerely for sharing you knowledge on the subject. I have some basic decisions to make about which platform really suits my needs and some of the guidance you offered will be helpful in making those choices. Thanks again for you help. Your answer helped me sort out the most fundamental part of what I was misunderstanding.

iPhoto 9.6.1 after El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.