Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - signal poor at 35-40 feet

I just got a new AirPort Extreme, got fiber optic cable installed. When I walk out of my house, I can see minor signal deterioration at 35-50 feet. Inside the house at about 35 feet, with a few walls, the signal drops to half speed. I have turned off all devices I suspect might cause interference, but there is no performance improvement. Is this normal?

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:47 PM

When you walk out of the house, how many walls must the signal go through?

Every wall that the signal must pass through will knock down the speed of the signal. That signal loss will vary according to the construction type of the wall, but an "average" wall of sheet rock and 2 by 4s might slow things down by 15-20% or so. So, after 3-4 walls, the signal is going to be pretty slow.

A ceiling is quite a bit thicker than a wall of course.

One of the things that you might not be aware of is that the higher the frequency of the signal, the higher the speed capability. But, as the same time, the higher the frequency of the signal, the weaker the signal. So everything in wireless is a compromise in one way or another.

If you want faster speeds in a remote area, you will likely need to add another AirPort router and connect it back to the "main" router using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 12:47 PM in response to DavidSLynch

When you walk out of the house, how many walls must the signal go through?

Every wall that the signal must pass through will knock down the speed of the signal. That signal loss will vary according to the construction type of the wall, but an "average" wall of sheet rock and 2 by 4s might slow things down by 15-20% or so. So, after 3-4 walls, the signal is going to be pretty slow.

A ceiling is quite a bit thicker than a wall of course.

One of the things that you might not be aware of is that the higher the frequency of the signal, the higher the speed capability. But, as the same time, the higher the frequency of the signal, the weaker the signal. So everything in wireless is a compromise in one way or another.

If you want faster speeds in a remote area, you will likely need to add another AirPort router and connect it back to the "main" router using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

Airport Extreme - signal poor at 35-40 feet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.